"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

LP's Baked Salmon

1 large salmon fillet (with or without skin)
2 lemons
Fresh (minced fine) or dried dill
salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste

Put salmon skin side down (if there is any) on a shallow baking pan. I like to use parchment paper as a liner but foil or just the pan will do fine.

Zest or grate one lemon and add the zest to the dill; sprinkle over the surface of the fillet. Use salt and pepper to taste.

Thinly slice the lemons and cover the whole surface of the fillet.

Bake until opaque and flaky, about 20 - 30 minutes at 350 F depending on thickness. The parchment and lemon help to keep all moisture and flavour in.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Simple is the best and tasty!!

C& P, I need the Reminder to prepare it this way, although I am sure it's going on the grill.

I can't wait for grilling weather ( which technically it is) and I can grill some salmon. If there are leftovers, I like to make Salmon Cakes the next day.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Whiska, we have done it on the grill as well in a salmon basket. It is really tasty either way!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Master Chef

Oh, that sounds wonderful, LP. I love salmon. Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Cheryl.

It was another of my recipes born out of desperation to get something tasty that doesn't have any of DH's (or my) food intolerances. We have come to really like simple foods where the additions bring out the natural flavour of the main ingredient. This was the style I learned at school as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love salmon, thanks, LP!!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Looks yummy! I have lots of salmon in the freezer from the last time Monte went fishing on Lake Michigan and am terrified to cook it! He was the official fish cooker ... You have inspired me Laurie!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks JM. I hope you enjoy it. I know Monte would be happy you were enjoying his salmon.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Looks yummy! I have lots of salmon in the freezer from the last time Monte went fishing on Lake Michigan and am terrified to cook it! He was the official fish cooker ... You have inspired me Laurie!
If you want to serve it cold in salad or whatever you could do worse than borrow my families method with salmon. It works for any size from a whole fish to a portion for one. It's a very old technique for cold salmon.

Wrap your salmon in foil of baking parchment with a slice or two od lemon and some dill if available. place in a saucepan/pot which is just big enough for the salmon to fit comfortably but not to get lost in it. Cover with cold water and a lid and bring to the boil, bubble for a few seconds (or a minute for a large whole salmon) then turn off the heat and put at the back of the stove or out of the way where no-one will lift the lid to take a look. Do not remove the saucepan lid. Allow the pan and its water to get completely cold (if cooking a whole fish this could take all night).

Take the fish out off the cold water and unwrap and find a piece of cold salmon just right to eat.

If cooking a large piece of salmon for a party you could dispense with the paper or foil and in place of the cold water use a (cold) court bouillon. You'll need a fish kettle for a whole salmon - My fishmonger lends me his so ask yours if you need it.

The method works because of the amount of water used and the length of the time it takes to cool.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Sounds interesting MadCook. Will have to try it some time.

I always do a large fillet the the lemon, etc. in the oven so that I can chill it for salads and sandwiches. I even freeze portions of the cooked salmon (with its lemon slices still on to keep it moist and not freezer burned) for future salmon salad sanwiches (just adding a bit of mayo).

Tags
fish, recipe, salmon

LP's Baked Salmon 1 large salmon fillet (with or without skin) 2 lemons Fresh (minced fine) or dried dill salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste Put salmon skin side down (if there is any) on a shallow baking pan. I like to use parchment paper as a liner but foil or just the pan will do fine. Zest or grate one lemon and add the zest to the dill; sprinkle over the surface of the fillet. Use salt and pepper to taste. Thinly slice the lemons and cover the whole surface of the fillet. Bake until opaque and flaky, about 20 - 30 minutes at 350 F depending on thickness. The parchment and lemon help to keep all moisture and flavour in. 3 stars 1 reviews