"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

My very last special at the restaurant....

Like I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm going to be starting at a new restaurant in about a week. Tonight was my last night at the restaurant where I've been working at for the past year and a half. Eventually my goal is to hopefully open up my own place, a small (maybe 30-40 seat) restaurant focusing on seasonal, modern and contemporary food, with some molecular gastronomy thrown in. Ideally I'd like to do just different tasting menus. But that's several years down the road at least.

I wanted to bring in some halibut or Chilean sea bass but we couldn't get it for today, so I settled on salmon. LOL I guess it's fitting since I've made so many **** specials with salmon. I used the same dish that I did last week with the horseradish and panko crust, and the whole grain mustard beurre blanc. I did something different with the vegetables. I rendered down some applewood smoked lardons, then sauteed diced onion, minced garlic, fresh corn, and diced shiitake mushrooms. I then added some butter, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne, then panned it out and chilled it. To order, it was heated and some finely diced baby bok choy was added in until just wilted. Since it was my last special, it wouldn't be complete without a foam, so I made one with a late harvest riesling. The sweetness of the foam went really well with the acidity from the horseradish and the whole grain mustard. The dish I made last week was good, but I wanted to add more sweetness to it somehow. At the next restaurant I'm going to be working at, I don't think we're going to really be able to run specials, so this might be the last one that you'll be seeing from me for awhile. So bon appetit until the next time:

Pan Roasted Horseradish Crusted King Salmon
Applewood Smoked Lardons, Sweet Corn, Shiitake Mushrooms, Baby Bok Choy, Potato Puree, Whole Grain Mustard Beurre Blanc, Sweet Rielsing Emulsion

Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Master Chef

Yummy!!!! I'd love to try that, Ironchef............best of luck with your new venture in life......you'll certainly be busy......:)

Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Oh yummy. That sauce looks so good!

Good luck in your new venture. I hope you get a mini vacation in between now and next week and do what you enjoy - outside the kitchen.
Thanks for all your pics. I enjoy each one of them.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks for posting this IC but seriously, I can't wait that long until you post more pictures! Life will not be the same!!!!

Good luck on your new venture - tell them that "specials" are everything!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks beautiful and I know it tastes wonderful..Best of luck to you..Your pictures will be missed..Their beauty was breathtaking. Thank you
cj
Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
sounds like a wonderful combo of flavors, IC. I love beurre blanc... it's such a versatile vehicle for flavor.

Did you use fresh horseradish with the panko?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Cool Best Wishes

Good luck to you in your new venture!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Ironchef, good luck and congratulations on having the courage to step out on your own. We all should have that kind of confidence. Not easy and I am truly hoping will be great success ten times over. Working for someone else gave you the experience you needed. Now you will be in charge. Most people go to restaurants to eat and preparing them is something they like to avoid. So here you are, at their service and will have lot of success with your decision.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going. Would be interesting to hear from someone in control.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
At the next restaurant I'm going to be working at, I don't think we're going to really be able to run specials, so this might be the last one that you'll be seeing from me for awhile. So bon appetit until the next time:
Don't you cook at home?

Good luck with the new job.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Don't you cook at home?
Maybe not. Lots of working chefs don't.

Tags
None