"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need a good recipe for farm-raised trout

That's the only kind I can get here. Natch it will never be as good as the fresh wild stuff cooked over a campfire (the BEST fish of ANY kind I have EVER eaten).

Ideas and suggestions, please. I have a whole bag of almonds in the freezer but have never tried to make almondine.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Everymom

Is it steelhead trout? Sort of looks like salmon?

Old 09-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Couldn't tell you, Alix. They're about 9-10 inches long, heads and tails on, but gutted, I think. Not real big around - seem to be sold in packs of 3 to 4 fish.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Everymom

Marinade
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup rye whiskey
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. each salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced

Butterfly those bad boys. Cover the fish with the marinade, leave overnight. When you are ready to cook them place them skin side down on heavy foil on your grill. Cook until flesh is opaque and flakes easily. (Recipe courtesy Best of Bridge Aces)

I use this one on steelhead trout which is a lot like salmon. Hope it works for you.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, sounds good. Next time we are where they sell them I'll try your marinade. Does it have to be rye, or would any whiskey do?

I've got a good recipe for a "zesty salmon sauce" that I'll post in return. Just looked for it in "the folder" but can't find it just yet. Hafta go pick up the kid at the bus stop. It's raining hard. Tornado watch on until about 9 p.m.

I am getting kinda sick of this weather.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Everymom

I think rye would have a more distinct flavour, but not being a whiskey drinker I don't know. Use what you have is always my motto. Stay safe, mudbug, hope it gets better soon.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I love this recipe. It is a great stuffing for any whole fish, or even rolled inside chicken breasts.

Trout with Fruit Stuffing
4 dressed trout
Fruit Stuffing (as follows)
2 tb butter, melted
1 tb lemon juice

Fruit Stuffing:
1 c croutons, herb-seasoned
1 c dried fruit (apricots, raisins, cherries, cranberries, prunes, etc), diced
1 shallot, diced
2 tb butter, melted
2 tb chicken broth or white wine
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425F. Grease baking dish, set aside.
1.Mix stuffing ingredients together, adding more liquid if necessary. Stuffing should be moist but still slightly firm.
2.Stuff fish with stuffing. Use toothpicks to hold edges of fish together so stuffin does not spill out.
3.Place fish in baking dish and drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice.
4.Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
Head Chef

You may not keep any Asian seasonings on hand (I do – an admitted addiction), but if you do, try this one, a family favorite.

1 Tbsp. good quality soy sauce (there is a huge difference…)
1 tsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. very finely minced garlic
1 tsp. even more finely minced fresh ginger root
fresh cilantro
2 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and slivered

Sprinkle the inside of your whole fish with salt and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.

Get a long sheet of parchment paper. Lay the fish on the righthand half of the sheet, leaving a generous margin of paper around it. (You’re going to fold over the parchment paper and make a pouch to cook the fish in…) Next, set the fish and paper on a jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet. Rub a little of the sauce mixture inside the cavity of the fish and add 2 or 3 cilantro sprigs there, too. Next, pour the balance of the soy sauce mixture evenly over the top of the fish. Arrange the mushroom slivers on top, then add another couple of cilantro sprigs.

Fold the parchment paper over the fish matching the edges. Beginning at the top of the fold, start folding and creasing the paper, folding and creasing, until the edges are all folded under and a nice little sealed pouch is made. Tuck the tail end underneath. (Blessings to Alton Brown for showing me this one!)

Place into a preheated 400 degree oven for about half an hour. Cut a big “X” in the top of the pouch with a sharp knife. You can then relocate the fish to a platter using two spatulas or merely start serving from there (easy cleanup…). I spoon the pan juices over steamed rice and serve along with stir-fried snow peas or broccoli and a side of fresh fruit.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

These all sound quite wonderful. Thanks for detailed instructions, Audeo. Now I don't have to try to remember AB's directions (saw that one recently). Another Everest to climb....
Old 10-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Wine-Poached Trout

4 pan-size trout, dressed
4 fl oz dry white wine
4 thin slices onion
2 thin slices lemon
ÂĽ tsp dill seeds
ÂĽ tsp tarragon
1 tsp white sea salt
½ tsp white peppercorns

Pour wine into fry pan, add onion, leon, dill, tarragon, salt & peppercorns, with enough water to cover fish.

Bring to soft boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until fish test done. Using a wide fish turner, lift the trout onto a heated platter and remove skin, reserving the poaching liquid. Serve hot with a basic cream sauce, made from the reserved bouillon.

Tags
None