Cleaning Your Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. I felt that way, too until I found a wire in my burger. That I had cooked myself. You couldn’t see it. I pulled it out of my mouth before I swallowed it.

It’s not paranoia. It’s pretty real.

This is too trivial to argue about.

Getting struck by lightning is also pretty real.

CD

Casey, jennyemma, I happen agree with both of you. I have always cleaned my grills with a wire brush. My son and I spent several hours sitting in the ER to have a wire removed from his throat.

My caution is to be sure to use a copper brush and use a new one every year.

I still do as does the son who had the wire in his throat.
I clean my grill directly after using it while it is still hot. In recent years I've only had/used cast iron grills. IMO much better than SS.

Casey, jennyemma, I happen agree with both of you. I have always cleaned my grills with a wire brush. My son and I spent several hours sitting in the ER to have a wire removed from his throat.

My caution is to be sure to use a copper brush and use a new one every year.

I still do as does the son who had the wire in his throat.
I clean my grill directly after using it while it is still hot. In recent years I've only had/used cast iron grills. IMO much better than SS.

I'm sure it does happen, but I think it is pretty rare, and if you realize that it CAN happen, you can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

My grill brush is stainless steel, and the wires aren't just stuck into some wood. It would be really unlikely to shed any bristles. But, wiping down the grate with an oiled paper towel after brushing is another step that cleans and lubes the grates, which should also catch any bristles.

I use something similar to a Scotchbrite pad on my Blackstone griddle. I would be hesitant to use a wire brush on that, for multiple reasons, including safety. That a big, flat surface, so a bristle would not fall between grates. People use the same thing to clean grills, but the pads get ruined pretty quickly on grill grates.

BTW, as far as gas grill safety goes, if you store your grill indoors, like in the garage, leave the propane bottle outside. I've had a few of them leak over the years, and a garage full of propane is a ticking bomb. There is a good reason stores that do propane bottle exchanges have the bottles stored in cages outside, and won't let you bring your exchange bottle inside the store. Oh, and when you take your bottle for an exchange, take the old one straight to the store, and bring the new one straight home. Don't leave it in your car all day while you run errands.

CD

I suppose the garage thing would work for some who rarely use their grills. I grilled all winter and it stayed out side the kitchen patio door. Tank still on and all. Never had a problem. But then that's me.

I suppose the garage thing would work for some who rarely use their grills. I grilled all winter and it stayed out side the kitchen patio door. Tank still on and all. Never had a problem. But then that's me.

My gas grill and Blackstone griddle stay outside, too. The tanks stay connected. If they leak outside, it's not a big deal. I had to return a leaky propane tank just a few months ago. With the valve turned off, it was fine, but when I opened the valve, the smell of the chemical they add to gasses was strong. I could not figure out why it was happening, but it was definitely leaking.

CD

That really sounds more like the connection was faulty. There really is only one place for it to leak if it was fine when closed. The valve itself. I'm guessing you have the same laws we do. They won't refill your tanks after a certain length of time. Dated which is stamped on the valve. They send them back to be re-set (or whatever).

All gas is perfumed for that very reason. So you can smell a leak.

That really sounds more like the connection was faulty. There really is only one place for it to leak if it was fine when closed. The valve itself. I'm guessing you have the same laws we do. They won't refill your tanks after a certain length of time. Dated which is stamped on the valve. They send them back to be re-set (or whatever).

All gas is perfumed for that very reason. So you can smell a leak.

The leak was a connection problem, but it was purely related to that tank valve. I switched tanks (I always have a backup), and no leak. It only happened with that one tank. I have no idea why.

Yes, both methane and propane are odorless in their natural state. A chemical is added to give them a rather foul odor.

If you like history videos, this one explains why gasses have to be treated to smell bad...

CD

We have been using a pumice stone to clean the grill. It works well, but they wear out more quickly than I like. I have an old hibachi that had filthy grate. I took the pumice stone cleaner that was a little worn. By the time the grates on the hibachi were clean, the pumice stone was worn down to little pieces. Even a double hibachi doesn't have a very big grilling surface.

We have been using a pumice stone to clean the grill. It works well, but they wear out more quickly than I like. I have an old hibachi that had filthy grate. I took the pumice stone cleaner that was a little worn. By the time the grates on the hibachi were clean, the pumice stone was worn down to little pieces. Even a double hibachi doesn't have a very big grilling surface.

Yeah, I bought a pumice stone for cleaning the cast iron grates I had years ago. It didn't last long.

I gave up on cast iron grates. They are just too high maintenance.

CD

How very tragic and a tragic way to learn. Thanks for that video casey.
Yeah, I bought a pumice stone for cleaning the cast iron grates I had years ago. It didn't last long.

I gave up on cast iron grates. They are just too high maintenance.

CD

HIGH MAINTENANCE? Cook meat, brush clean while still hot, close lid. How on earth is that high maintenance?

Interesting video. I was taught in school in SoCal that the smell had been added for a long time, as they switched to natural gas from coal gas (I think it was coal gas in SoCal before the natural gas). That they specifically used something that smelled pretty much like coal gas, which everyone knew was dangerous. They considered adding a pleasant smell, but they didn't want anyone using the gas as room freshener.

How very tragic and a tragic way to learn. Thanks for that video casey.

HIGH MAINTENANCE? Cook meat, brush clean while still hot, close lid. How on earth is that high maintenance?

Rust. My grills stay outside 24/7/365.

CD

So have both mine and my sons... never ever had rust.

Well, you must be living right, because it didn't work out that way for me. In the end, we both seem to get our food grilled to our satisfaction, so I guess it really doesn't matter what kind of grates we have.

CD

I did have the bottom plates with the holes that dispersed the gas crap out on me. Should I ever get another (although I highly doubt it now) it will be a cast iron body too. No more of the Stainless Steel housing for me. Only reason I wouldn't go with a hibachi is I like the speed with which one gets the heat and the lids for containing the heat when needed.

Charcoal grill here, so maybe not applicable to gas.
I try to scrape of crud when the grid is still warm or hot.
I may use half a lemon or potato to go over it as well. Seems to clean them okay.
I'll use a wire brush without any qualms, but mine is finished.
Remember mine's charcoal and grids can easily be removed for a rinse, scrape or anything.

I also put the grid in the flames or hottest part of the grill before cooking as a final clean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom