"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Pan Seared Scallop with Lobster Hash and a Tomato-Curry Butter

Haven't posted a food pic in awhile. Was thinking about some combinations of flavors, had an idea, then tried it at work the other day. This one came out really, really good.

The lobster hash was made with Yukon gold potato, fresh local sweet corn, Hawaiian lobster knuckle meat, fresh lobster stock, and butter. The sauce was made with slightly roasted brandywine heirlooms, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, Madras curry, and butter.

Pan Seared Atlantic Diver Scallop
Keahole Lobster, Kahuku Sweet Corn, and Yukon Gold Potato Hash, Madras Curry and Heirloom Tomato Butter, Truffled Micro Green Salad, Basil Oil

Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'm intrigued and inspired, Ironchef. We used to make a pan seared scallop dish with lobster quinoa and a carrot/lobster stock sauce that was well received. I was never fond of the sauce--I may attempt the tomato-curry butter you created. Any tips? Beautiful presentation, BTW. May I have a double order?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love looking at your food! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

IC

I'll have a double shot of Booker's, and a half dozen of those for starters!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
I'm intrigued and inspired, Ironchef. We used to make a pan seared scallop dish with lobster quinoa and a carrot/lobster stock sauce that was well received. I was never fond of the sauce--I may attempt the tomato-curry butter you created. Any tips? Beautiful presentation, BTW. May I have a double order?
The sauce is surprisingly easy. You don't have to use heirlooms. Very ripe high quality vine ripened tomatoes will work just as well. I don't have the exact proportions since I was just playing around, but here's a rough estimate:

Madras Curry and Tomato Butter

Ingredients:

6 very ripe medium sized heirloom or vine ripened tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. Madras Curry powder(or similar Indian-style curry powder)
4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher Salt to taste
Unsalted Butter (approx 1 Tbsp. per order)

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 350. Core the tomatoes and quarter. Toss the tomatoes and garlic with 2 Tbsp. of the oil, lay out in on a sheet pan and roast until the tomatoes are just heated through and hot, about 8 minutes. Remove immediately and transfer the tomatoes, garlic, oils, and juices to a blender and puree until smooth.

Meanwhile, heat the curry powder in a saute pan or small sauce pan over medium heat until fragrant. Add the remaining olive oil and stir into the curry while still on the heat. This will help "bloom" the curry and give it more flavor when adding to the tomatoes. Continue to cook for about a minute more then remove from heat. Add enough of the curry mixture to the sauce until the desired flavor is achieved. Season to taste with kosher salt, pass the sauce through a chinois, and reserve.

To serve (per order), heat approximately 3 Tbsp. of the sauce in a small saucepan, but do not boil or burn. Emulsify 1 Tbsp. of unsalted butter with the sauce and plate immediately.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Respect.......
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Wow!!! It looks and sounds delicious!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The sauce is surprisingly easy. You don't have to use heirlooms. Very ripe high quality vine ripened tomatoes will work just as well. I don't have the exact proportions since I was just playing around, but here's a rough estimate:
Thank you!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Head Chef

Thanks Ironchef for generously sharing not just your ideas but even your recipes!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Thanks Ironchef for generously sharing not just your ideas but even your recipes!

I have no problem with sharing any recipe of mine. I'm not in that school of chefs who don't like to give out their "secret" or whatever. I want people to try new things and to broaden their culinary horizons.

It's funny because you know what I was actually most proud of in the dish? It was how perfectly even I diced the potatoes. Knife skills are one of the most underrated aspects in cooking professionally. I don't know how many times I've gone out to eat in an upscale restaurant and on my plate, something that should be cut so that every piece is almost even looks like the knifework was done by Stevie Wonder.

Tags
None