"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Master Chef

Scallops, I need help please.

At one time, I hated scallops, (thought they tasted like soap). Lately I think they could be ok after eating them in restaurants. The SousChef has always liked them, and he came home from the store with a frozen bag of very expensive large scallops. We knew fresh would be better, but that's what we have at the moment. For example, I've seen pictures here at the dinner thread, of Cheryl's gorgeous seared scallops and wondered about the secrets.
I looked at recipes for Coquille Saint Jacques but despite SC's encouragement, that's not what I had in mind for my first attempt at Scallops.
Help!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yum! I love scallops.

My first thought was Coquilles St. Jacques, which is awesomely delicious. I have a recipe for Coquilles St. Jacques crepes. Too good! You might try something like that.

At the moment, I can't think of anything else, but seared is always good.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not quite sure what kind of help you're asking for, Kay But here goes.

I love love love seared scallops with lemony aioli (read: mayo with lemon zest and juice, salt and a tiny bit of sugar). I also like to serve them with risotto.

Once the scallops are thawed, dry them well with paper towels. A dry surface is the key to good browning.

Salt them generously, heat a pan over high heat and melt butter in the pan. Place the scallops in the pan and cook till well browned, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the second side for about two minutes. Serve immediately with aioli for dipping.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I sear mine in a CI pan. Bit of butter. They have a bit of chew, like a good steak. Like GG said, make sure they're dry.

The best Coquilles St. Jacques I've ever had was when my sister and I went to Oahu, many eons ago. They were served in little scallop shells. Absolutely delicious.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

As mentioned, the key to a good sear is getting those babies as dry as possible. I usually buy 4 or 5 or so for a meal for me depending on how big they are (they're already thawed when I buy them), wrap them in several layers of paper towels and let them sit on a plate in the fridge for several hours -overnight is even better, especially since they're frozen.

I like them simply done, which for me means lightly seasoned before cooking with a little kosher salt and cracked pepper, and finished at the table with fresh lemon juice. I use my cast iron pan, get it pretty hot, coat the bottom with a little oil and butter, and watch them carefully - as mentioned, it'll only take a couple of minutes per side in the hot pan. Once they start getting a nice sear, you can lift them a little with your spatula to check how they're doing, they'll release easy when they're getting browned.

The lemon aioli sauce sounds really good, I'll need to try that next time. I also have always wanted to try Coquilles St. Jacques. But for just me for one meal, I keep it simple. Love them with asparagus.

Can't wait to hear how this dinner is, Kay! I hope you love them, however you decide to season and serve them.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cheryl, GG, Katie and I are heading over to Kayelle's for scallops...

Hope you bought enough!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #7
Master Chef

I sooo appreciate all the good advice for this novice with scallops. There's nothing like first hand advice from people you trust.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Try just frying them, both sides, then just pour simple soy sauce, delicious. Or with bacon and put I salad. Trick is not to over do or under cook. More you cook the better at judging. I put them in my fish pie, or stir fry. They shouldn't taste like soup!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen20 View Post
Try just frying them, both sides, then just pour simple soy sauce, delicious. Or with bacon and put I salad. Trick is not to over do or under cook. More you cook the better at judging. I put them in my fish pie, or stir fry. They shouldn't taste like soup!
IMO, soy sauce or bacon would mask the delicate flavor of the scallops. I would never use diver or sea scallops in a dish like Coquilles St. Jacques, bay scallops would be just fine and less expensive.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #10
Senior Cook

What ever you do, DO NOT forget to tell us how it goes! I've never bought diver scallops, only bay(funny how they are not around w. KS ) .

I'm eating vicariously through you Kay! And I'm hungry!

Tags
None