"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I was in college, we went to NYC for a weekend and stayed at a friend's house. His mom served us creamed white fish for breakfast. I wasn't ready for it back then. The idea of fish for breakfast didn't work for me.
It funny Andy. growing up we had whitefish, herring, lox, sable, and others I am sure on a regular basis. When I was in my early teens we took a trip to the Catskills and for breakfast my dad asked if they had any kippers. I had never heard of those so asked what they were. When I was told they were fish I though that was the weirdest thing in the world. Who would eat fish for breakfast. Somehow my mind did not make the connection that I had been eating other fishes for breakfast for my whole life.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I have NO idea where you heard that, Allen. Lake Superior whitefish is no way a trash fish, and is sought after in the area for its delicate flavor and lightness. It is the number 1 food I always want when I go back to Chicago. In fact, I love it so much that last fall I paid $17.95 per pound to have some overnighted to me. I have never seen in available on the East Coast except in Kosher fish markets around Passover as it is one of the favored fish for Gefilte Fish.

I prepare it simply broiled with a bit of lemon and fresh, light herbs like chervil, or sometimes sauteed in lemon butter.
One of the other cooks I worked with at the time. Of course, this was in Jackson, MI, and most folks that went fishing were after bluegill, bass, lake perch, etc.

I liked the smoked whitefish. I haven't heard of it being prepared any other way, as I'm not from New England, and haven't visited there. I guess I need to search out some of the recipes in this thread for future reference.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I think alot of fish found in the Great Lakes have a bad reputation because the lakes used to be rather dirty for a long time. Depending on what part of which lake you're at, they still can be rather dirty. I wouldn't recommend fishing near Gary,IN, for example as that's where all the mills are, and I'm sure a lot of toxic runoff gets into the lake.

I do eat freshwater fish, though never would do it raw.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Like BT said, the whitefish you had raw was more than likely not the same freshwater whitefish for the reasons GW stated, unless it was farmed raised and given a special parasite free diet. It was probably snapper, which is usually the generic fish used and deemed "whitefish". Other fish like sea bass, halibut, etc. are called by their Japanese names (suzuki, hirame, etc.).
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
I think alot of fish found in the Great Lakes have a bad reputation because the lakes used to be rather dirty for a long time. Depending on what part of which lake you're at, they still can be rather dirty. I wouldn't recommend fishing near Gary,IN, for example as that's where all the mills are, and I'm sure a lot of toxic runoff gets into the lake.

I do eat freshwater fish, though never would do it raw.
Lake Superior is nowhere near Gary, IN. The whitefish come from way up top of Wisconsin, as far as I know. They are not listed as dangerous to eat, and in fact, have a very clean, "pure" taste. Like I said, last fall I paid $44 (total order) to have $18 worth of whitefish sent to me from Chicago, because I was so hungry for them.

For me, smoked whitefish, tho I love it too, is an entirely different product.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I prepare it simply broiled with a bit of lemon and fresh, light herbs like chervil, or sometimes sauteed in lemon butter.

oh man, that sounds good. thanks chef june. chervil is an under-used and under-rated herb, imo. i remember finding a stray chervil plant growing a few weeks after i had harvested a "spicy" mesculun mix in my garden. i wasn't sure what it was, but after tasting it (it looked edible, and it was in my garden ) i was amazed. i snacked on it like "good-n-plenty" all summer as i tended the garden.

allen, many of the great lakes fish species are considered trash fish, mostly from being raised on a diet of rubber worms and spinners from goodweed's tacklebox.
same goes for the birds in the trees on the shoreline...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Okay, I spent my teens working in my parents' tiny little restaurant in an even tinier little town in Upper Michigan and I can tell you there were days we SOLD OUT of fresh whitefish caught and delivered several times/week by local fisheries. It's by no means a trash fish, and the ice cold waters of Lake Superior aren't anything like the polluted Erie or mill towns on Lake Michigan. Most people did enjoy it battered and fried, but I always liked it simply drizzed with EVOO or butter, S&P and popped under the broiler in the disposable but highly effective pie tin! The tourists LOVED it, and it was second only to our pasties with gravy. I remember there was another smaller variety in the same family, but I cannot remember what they were called, but if they ran out of whitefish, they'd send those and we'd use them on smaller entrees like fish & chips or a sandwich special. Yummy!

GW, you forgot Brook Trout ... Hemingway's writings were about the Fox River in Seney.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

gw feeds them "well", too.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Thanks for all the help. I now feel the need to seek out some real whitefish. Next time I go to that resteraunt I'll have to talk to the chef and see what it really is. Trouble is they don't really speak english, so I'll have to brush up on my japanese (I really can speak it a bit).
Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
Master Chef

BT, I beg your pardon. Only the fattest, juiciest nightcrawlers, from either my Grandpa's backyard, after soaking with a hose for a half hour or so, or from the Riverside Cemetary, all handpicked at night, go on my hooks, especially when I'm after brookies or stream living rainbows. And for the record, brook trout can mean speckled, brown, or rainbow trout. But usually, when someone refers to brook trout, they are talking easter speckled trout. And when you're talking about the finest fish on the planet, they come from the streams (brooks) spilling into the most pristine body of water on the planet - Lake Superior.

And just so I'm not accused of highjacking the thread, whitefish are not considered a trash fish. Now those guppies that BT tries to feed ya, from that aquarium in his home, those are trash fish.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None