Vegetarian diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, and I have... for 3 months... althought it wasn't vegan.. I did have dairy..

Yes.

Yes.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time. It's really not that difficult nor is it that unenjoyable. I've always explained it this way. No one would suffer if they ate just vegetables, but no one could or enjoy eating just meat. The flavor profiles of vegetables are more complex, and more diverse. Most people don't even like "meat" unless they add some sort of non-meat spice to it.

No,
for me staying alive is based on protein..Chicken,eggs,beef,pork...Veggies are a side.
kadesma

You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.

You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.
I don't want to argue with you but that is a broad statement for me. My kidneys have failed and I was told to eat what I listed above..Veggies alone won't do what I need. While I like and enjoy them, they are not and can't be my main focus.
kadesma

1) Absolutely, without a doubt. I get my blood tested quarterly and have my doctor run a nutrient panel and I'm peachy (except for cholesterol). As I don't eat dairy or eggs either, I do need a B-12 supplement.

2) I think my food horizon expanded quite a bit when I went vegetarian, then vegan. There's so many more places to go when you don't have a slab of meat at the center of your plate. I've really explored other cuisines that are often vegetarian in nature, such as Indian and Thai and I've tried things that I never would have considered before (or even knew about). I'm definitely happy with my choice.

You won't die if you don't eat meat... ...

...and you won't die if you do eat meat.

Because people eat vegetables with meat does NOT mean those vegetables are necessary to make meat enjoyable.

Omnivores enjoy all kinds of foods. They don't limit themselves to just one category.

If you're happy eating just veggies, that's fine with me. You don't have to attack omnivores to validate your position.

I have my own opinions about dietary choices but I believe we all need to do what is best for ourselves. I believe that since I have both grinding teeth (herbivore) and tearing teeth (carnivore) I can choose to be omnivorous and so that is my choice. I respect that many folks choose to eat vegetarian, and would try to serve that if they came to my home. I also respect that many folks like meat and would serve that if they came to my table. Hopefully I wouldn't have to serve both at the same time! EEK!

I am vegetarian -- actually vegan, and a vegetarian diet can be just as healthy as any other diet. I was an avid meateater who quit eating meat altogether roughly 7 years ago. Especially at first, it seemed hard to do. I could see someone's first week or couple of months being difficult because it's a change of habit, and things like eating out and reading ingredients lists are part of the learning process. I am really happy I made the switch.

Tagout: If you want to see a vegan body builder, look at Robert Cheeke: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ That's health on a vegetarian diet for ya!

Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian
diet? Yes, probably.

Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week? Not at all.

I have all the respect in the world for vegetarians and vegans.If you don't want to eat meat or animal products then more power to you. I love meat though and contrary to what tagout77may think it is the flavor of the meat which I love. A nice rib eye cooked perfectly with a little salt is heaven to me, just as some nice homegrown squash hot off the grill with a bit of olive oil could be. I would miss meat too much to be able to happily go without for a whole week. Same reason I won't be kosher. I would miss my bacon and lobster and ribs and oysters and...way too much.

I didn't mean to attack anyone in this. My point simply being that anyone I think if given the option of only meat or only vegetables would take vegetables.

I think often times Vegetarians have to deal with defending our dietary habits from multiple perspectives. This post kind of proves that: it's suggesting that you can't get all of the dietary needs from a vegetarian diet when that's simply fallacious. Often times I'm use to being on the defensive about it. If I have to explain that fact that I'm a vegetarian people think I am be self-righteous or questioning their ethos, when I'm not.

I cook for both vegetarians and meat eaters a like. I do find that vegetarians often talk about the change in complexity of the flavor profiles of vegetables after not eating meat for a long period of time. It seems as if the vegetable flavor hits another level.

My point simply being that anyone I think if given the option of only meat or only vegetables would take vegetables.
I know more men that not who would pick meat of veggies any day of the week. And how many kids won't eat anything green unless it is in jelly bean form, but give them a chicken nugget and they are happy?

Often times I'm use to being on the defensive about it.
You might want to give the people here a chance first instead of jumping to being defensive right away. They just may surprise you.

Seriously that's how you're going to act? This person asks a question about the nature of vegetarian diets, no where did I require demand or even tell anyone to eat vegetarian, and you all act like children.

If you only ate meat you would die. Don't believe me go for it. You would get Scurvy, rickets etc etc the list goes on and on. This is not the case on a vegetarian diet. It's a scientific fact.

I will stop posting here from now on thanks to this.

Debating the merits of a diet or lifestyle objectively is fine.

Making it personal is not.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom