Lowering carbs in baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrismcphee

Assistant Cook
So as a Type II diabetic I've just taken delivery of a new Breville Personal Pie maker. I know, probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I do love my pies (savoury), and my glucose is not giving me many concerns, being under control through diet & exercise.

I've been very good since being diagnosed and not eaten pies, I have a healthy diet generally, but I'm now looking at making a low-carb pastry using Soy and Wholewheat flours (not irresponsible enough to be using just white flour).

Has anyone experimented with soy flour? The net carb count is very low, especially compared with any other flour type that I have easy access to. Any tips or observations, especially when it comes to a low-carb shortcrust pastry?

I have played around with various low carb pie crusts and have decided that the real thing or nothing is the only way for me when it comes to a traditional short crust.

I have had good results with various kinds of ground nuts held together with butter. Similar to a graham cracker crust.

1 to 1 1/2 cups of finely ground almonds, pecans, walnuts etc.

2T to 3 T of melted butter

1 or 2 packets of artificial sweetener.

Mix and press into a pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes.

I use almond and fill it with a mixture of ricotta cheese, whipped cream, cinnamon and a couple packets of artificial sweetener to make a cannoli pie.

Not bad when I need a fix! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I used the following recipe last night and it turned out well. I'm sure I can get a lower carb count but this will do for a start.

1 1/2 cups wholewheat all-purpose flour (minus 3 tbsp)
3 tbsp soy flour
2/3 cup butter
pinch salt
1/3 cup ice water.

I used the K/A flaky pastry instructions - 30 second at 2, then turn the speed up to 4 until the mixture beads. Add the water, flatten, wrap, chill for 30 minutes. It made a very acceptable crust for a steak pie - I'll try the remainder in the Breville later and see how that works.

Your crust sounds good, but I wonder...if this recipe I found here somewhere for pizza crust made out of cauliflower would make a good crust in the pie maker?.. I haven't made the pizza crust yet, but it may just work for this too. I will need to do some experimenting. I will let you know what I come up with. This would be very low carb if it works. :neutral:

I would tend towards a nut flour like almond or pecan. I haven't tried a low carb pastry crust...just figure on not eating as much pastry as I used to...some things just can't be low-carbed...

I avoid soy as the odds of it being GMO are huge. :(

But there are TONS of other flours out there. No matter what mixture you use (and it generally takes a combination of different "flours" to get one that gives the best taste). You may need to add something to replicate the missing gluten proteins that comes from wheat products as well; Xanthum gum & guar gum (also both proteins) seem to be what most folks choose.

A basic replacement for wheat flour:
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup corn flour (i.e. starch)
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons potato starch (not flour)
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

I'd start asking Mr. Google some questions. ;) There's a ton of information out there. I haven't done much actual cooking without wheat because I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about it before I give it a whirl.

I just ran with going gluten free instead of just "lowering carbs". =)

Once I try my brownies tonight I will let you know how those are. No flours of any kind in them, and they look and smell pretty good. The xanthate gum is in the added whey protein powder. If they are good I will post the recipe here.

Back
Top Bottom