"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Reading through the thread reminded me that I also love the Greek seasoning on pork or chicken and the 4S Seasoned Salt on sautéed or steamed veggies (although I don't steam them often). I just started using the the Tellicherry pepper - that's good, too. And I like the Indonesian cinnamon for baking. DH likes the Chicago Steak Seasoning; I like just salt and pepper on my steak. And I bought the Zaa'tar seasoning last time I was there. Serious Eats has a recipe for grilled whole chicken with a sauce flavored with Zaa'tar. Can't wait to try that.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

And yes, 33rd & Galena is really good! We used it on smoked ribs three weeks in a row! :lil:

Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Reading through the thread reminded me that I also love the Greek seasoning on pork or chicken and the 4S Seasoned Salt on sautéed or steamed veggies (although I don't steam them often). I just started using the the Tellicherry pepper - that's good, too. And I like the Indonesian cinnamon for baking. DH likes the Chicago Steak Seasoning; I like just salt and pepper on my steak. And I bought the Zaa'tar seasoning last time I was there. Serious Eats has a recipe for grilled whole chicken with a sauce flavored with Zaa'tar. Can't wait to try that.
That's where I had a problem. I need cinnamon badly - I'm almost out - and couldn't decide which one to get. I finally got fed up with my indecision and played it safe, and ordered the Penzey's blend. I've got SOOO many jars and bottles in my spice cabinet already and didn't want to get more than one of the same spice. Good to know the Indonesian is a nice baking cinnamon. My daughter is a big fan of the Vietnamese.

Thanks for your other recommendations as well, GG. Like you, for a grilled rib eye, I prefer just s and p.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #84
Master Chef

I know I started this thread. I know I sing Penzeys praises. However, I now also buy from The Spice House. TSH is the original store, now run by Bill Penzeys' sister. You probably know the falling-out they had over spice rights, and not talking to each other for ages. Now they are talking again.

Anyway, over the last couple of years it seems Bill Penzeys has been pushing a political agenda. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with his views, all I want to do is buy spices! I still shop there, but with some eye-rolling at times.

I also have found that Spice House has a wider selection of spices, herbs, and seasonings - or at least it seems that way. Also, ounce for ounce, I think most of the Spice House ones are cheaper. And as much as I love Penzeys Greek Seasoning, sometimes it seems way to salty. Surprise, TSH doesn't add salt! Salt is cheap, I can add just a wee bit as I use the unsalted seasoning blend.

I like the fact that Penzeys has a smattering of stores all around the country. Spice House has just a couple, and they are mostly Chicago and north. From where we are, I can get to one of two Penzeys in under an hour. In fact, I think we're headed to one tomorrow.

The down side from ordering from Spice House? No free shipping. Unless you sign up for their e-mails and/or friend them on FB. They did offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more both for Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. I ordered each time...
Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CG, this is fascinating. I had no idea, thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #86
Master Chef

Wow, I didn't know about any of that.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

The following is an email got from Penzy's. I was wondering if any of you got one also. I am refusing the offer. But it does sound interesting.

Ireland is the focus for our next catalog and we could use your help finding the cooks to feature. We are starting on a three-catalog arc with the theme of “Love People – Cook Them Tasty Food.” After my daughter Teddi and I visited Dublin earlier this month as part of a larger world trip, I’m convinced Ireland is the right place to start. All too often when we think of love, we imagine it as something soft and passive. In Ireland there really is an unwavering integrity to their love for others. Theirs is a love with the power to change the world.

Our original travel plans had Teddi and me ending our trip in Rome, but with Ireland’s May 22nd election to become the first nation in the world to embrace marriage equality by popular vote, I thought Dublin was the place to be. It’s not by chance that Ireland arrived first at where we all are hopefully heading. Ireland’s history and embrace of writers, poets and their ideas has made Ireland a world leader in how we all should treat others. And no surprise, they cook really tasty food as well.

So we are looking for Irish-born cooks that show that robust compassion that makes Ireland so worthy of our respect. If this is you or someone you know, please reply to this email or come visit our website. And as a needle-in-the-haystack piece for this catalog, the art of the Equality Yes campaign is so powerful and so much a piece of galvanizing support for this issue. Both the official campaign art and the custom individual-made pieces that sprouted up across the country were remarkable and so inspiring. If any of you know and could get us an introduction to those behind this art, we would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
bill@penzeys.com

Old 06-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I know I started this thread. I know I sing Penzeys praises. However, I now also buy from The Spice House. TSH is the original store, now run by Bill Penzeys' sister. You probably know the falling-out they had over spice rights, and not talking to each other for ages. Now they are talking again.

Anyway, over the last couple of years it seems Bill Penzeys has been pushing a political agenda. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with his views, all I want to do is buy spices! I still shop there, but with some eye-rolling at times.

I also have found that Spice House has a wider selection of spices, herbs, and seasonings - or at least it seems that way. Also, ounce for ounce, I think most of the Spice House ones are cheaper. And as much as I love Penzeys Greek Seasoning, sometimes it seems way to salty. Surprise, TSH doesn't add salt! Salt is cheap, I can add just a wee bit as I use the unsalted seasoning blend.

I like the fact that Penzeys has a smattering of stores all around the country. Spice House has just a couple, and they are mostly Chicago and north. From where we are, I can get to one of two Penzeys in under an hour. In fact, I think we're headed to one tomorrow.

The down side from ordering from Spice House? No free shipping. Unless you sign up for their e-mails and/or friend them on FB. They did offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more both for Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. I ordered each time...
I haven't ordered from Penzey's, but I had a wonderful time at TSH in Chicago a few years ago when I was in Chicago on business and had a free afternoon. Love the Vulcan salt/spice blend I got there, as well as other specialty salts, etc. The staff were really helpful and I walked out of there with a lot more than I had planned to buy (oops!). It was also so much fun that TSH in Chicago is two doors down from The Olde Oil Shoppe (another oops).
Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #89
Master Chef

I like them both but I think the people that work at the Spice House in Old Town have waaaaay too much attitude. Makes me not want to shop there.

For the most part their stuff is very similar, IMO. But I like some of the stuff specific to the Spice House like the Vulcan salt that CSW mentioned.

Also, the labels for some of the blends at TSH don't list the ingredients, although the ingredients are listed on the store display. They might have changed that, though.

I live 1/2 from a Penzeys so that's where I usually go.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #90
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
. Does retirement really last until death??? Or can he get called to go back to work???
Has Shrek alphabetized your spices yet?

Tags
spices