"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #21
Master Chef

. . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derailed.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	25456  

Old 09-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Back on the subject of vacuum sealers, I just got a super bargain. After reading about Katie's steal of a deal pasta maker, SO and I went to a nearby Goodwill store. She picked up some stuff and I got a Foodsaver 550 fro $2.00!

Stopped at Wal-Mart and got a roll of bags and I'm ready to go!

Thanks for the idea, Katie.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Head Chef

Meat must be vastly different in prices across the country because meat from Costco was ALWAYS less expensive than from the regular grocery stores (even when on sale) like Publix or Winn Dixie in South Florida. We haven't bought meat from Costco/Sam's/BJ's since we started going regularly to Penn Dutch and Restaurant Depot because the prices from those 2 places beat even Costco/Sam's/BJ's prices, especially the prices at RD.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Meat must be vastly different in prices across the country because meat from Costco was ALWAYS less expensive than from the regular grocery stores (even when on sale) like Publix or Winn Dixie in South Florida. We haven't bought meat from Costco/Sam's/BJ's since we started going regularly to Penn Dutch and Restaurant Depot because the prices from those 2 places beat even Costco/Sam's/BJ's prices, especially the prices at RD.
In MA/NH we've found Costco's prices better than our supermarket's regular prices. Supermarket sale prices are better than Costco's.

We buy most of our beef, pork tenderloins, lamb racks, rotisserie chickens from Costco. I buy ground beef (80%/20%) elsewhere as Costco doesn't offer it.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Head Chef

too much to Quote n Cut... LOL

I'm sorry but all of you are very aware that there are sales gimmicks that all stores use to boost sales... hence the saying... Buyer Beware. and in the beginning (60' & 70's) it was the worst time! From placing candy at the checkout counters and then showing good will by supplying one lane that said "Candy Free" for frustrated mothers. (hmmm, come to think of it I notice they don't have that any more). Even now certain groceries are placed on shelves at eye level and the lesser ones on the bottom or up high.

I'm not saying it was their fault - I was the one lacking the where-with-all to stick to my guns. But I recognize my own faults and therefore I stay away from "bargains" I can't resist! If that mean staying out of the store... I stay out of the store!

LOL - don't get me started on Walmart or as my daughter calls it "Wally's World". Yes, I do shop there on occasion, their prices are good, quality on the other hand... ehh, I'm just talking food here.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
Master Chef

I only go to Wally World for automotive fluids, camp fuels, tarps, & occasional stuff for the patio... I think that's about it...
Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #27
Senior Cook

To my shame, I do know that Wally world, is a place where I always know I can get both propane and white gas no matter where I am, so sometimes go there for that purpose if I plan poorly.

I promise I always try a local hardware store first, but they are often hostile places for outsiders, and don't take kindly to east coast hippie safari pirate campers a'commin in and doin' stuff.

Realistically, though, I've had trouble in about two hardware stores in my travels? So like 10% are bad. If you have a problem, a small locally owned hardware store is the first place to go. Just every now and then they are crewed by jerks and ass-hats. (forgive my language).

So we were nominative discussing vacuum sealers?

I very much want this. Camping quite a bit I have many more things I can keep dry than just toilet paper, plus my whole frozen bulk food strategy.

My current strategy involves lots of freezer paper, zipplocks and gaffer tape.

One of the thing I have been promised in Glorious New Apartment (note: could become why did I move to this hole very quickly) is more counter space.

What is the best of these magic vacuum machines, what is the worst, and the middle?

Interested minds need to know.

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
What is the best of these magic vacuum machines, what is the worst, and the middle?
TBS
The link posted at the beginning of the thread has a super description of various machines available.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #29
Senior Cook

What I have been waiting on is one of the sales.

I do think this is something I would use much.

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
What I have been waiting on is one of the sales.

I do think this is something I would use much.

TBS
I've wanted one for a while. Never could justify the cost until today when I found that used one @ Goodwill. (see above). The no name bags actually cost me more than the machine. I downloaded the manual and I'll be testing it out tomorrow.