"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #6991
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom called me to tell me how much she has been cooking in her new home with all of the stuff I bought her. I was really hoping that buying her that new stuff would spark her interest again. Since she lost dad, she hasn't baked much and barely cooked. I think ending one chapter of her life and starting another is just what she needed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Looks like you found her reset button, you are a good son!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #6992
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Looks like you found her reset button, you are a good son!
What PF said. Reset button - great description.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #6993
Master Chef

Went to a few garage sales this morning (in the rain) and got some Taste of Home magazines for 25 cents.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #6994
Master Chef

Nice deal, JoAnn!

I've had a trifecta of smiles today. First, while enjoying a cup of tea and a book in the sunroom, I got to watch two huge crows duke it out. Methinks they were vying for the affection of a lady crow. The two started it up in a tree while sitting with a third crow, then slugged it out with their wings, finally landing on the ground and flailing away as they rolled about 5-10 feet down the backyard slope. Finally one flew off alone, the other flew off with the bird who stayed in the tree.

Next smile? Himself finishing off the taxes and sending them on. We get unexpected money back this year. Is it because we got financial assistance for my health insurance since we paid out more in premiums that we showed as earnings? Nope. It was because Himself, by virtue of being older, got credit back on both our real estate taxes and water/sewer bills. Not too shabby!

Lastly, it was Himself's "wonderful" comment to the salads I made tonight. He's not one to fling around compliments, much to my sadness and dismay.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 AM   #6995
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Nice deal, JoAnn!

I've had a trifecta of smiles today. First, while enjoying a cup of tea and a book in the sunroom, I got to watch two huge crows duke it out. Methinks they were vying for the affection of a lady crow. The two started it up in a tree while sitting with a third crow, then slugged it out with their wings, finally landing on the ground and flailing away as they rolled about 5-10 feet down the backyard slope. Finally one flew off alone, the other flew off with the bird who stayed in the tree.

Next smile? Himself finishing off the taxes and sending them on. We get unexpected money back this year. Is it because we got financial assistance for my health insurance since we paid out more in premiums that we showed as earnings? Nope. It was because Himself, by virtue of being older, got credit back on both our real estate taxes and water/sewer bills. Not too shabby!

Lastly, it was Himself's "wonderful" comment to the salads I made tonight. He's not one to fling around compliments, much to my sadness and dismay.
There are so many deductions for being 65 and over. And if you find yourself unable to perform certain tasks and need special equipment you are now handicapped. Another deduction. I love being old, handicapped, and the recipient of so many services.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #6996
Master Chef

Not that we enjoy paying taxes, Addie, but I'd rather do that than be disabled. Except for the two years that Himself got unemployment benefits (after 38 years of employment), we've always taken care of our needs on our own. Not that I mind tax credits and rebates, but it was a nice surprise after paying real estate taxes for 37 years.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #6997
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Not that we enjoy paying taxes, Addie, but I'd rather do that than be disabled. Except for the two years that Himself got unemployment benefits (after 38 years of employment), we've always taken care of our needs on our own. Not that I mind tax credits and rebates, but it was a nice surprise after paying real estate taxes for 37 years.
When you reach 65 you have all kinds of benefits available to you that will reduce you tax bill and get you a cash refund when you file. You don't have to be disabled to enjoy them. Just being 65 gives you an extra exemption. For each of you. That is a big chunk of money saved just there.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #6998
Chef Extraordinaire

All my adult live I never qualified for anything. And when the kids came, our income was still too much to get a refund. By the time the fifth child came along, three of the kids were out on their own. So there went three deductions. We still had to pay taxes. By the time Poo went off to medical school, he was taking out student loans based on my income alone. Can't claim him, he is not living at home anymore. But now I have my granddaughter and I am her sole support. Because I was not her parent, I could qualify for welfare payments with food stamps for her and myself even though I was working. I didn't want to go that route, even though it would have made it so much easier. By this time I had been alone for more than ten years. So it was my income alone.

I had quite a fight on my hands with IRS when I tried to claim her on my tax return. I had to get a letter from the courts stating that they had turned her over to me to raise. Along with her mother's death certificate. Fortunately, the local IRS office was just a train ride on the T from where I lived. I was in their offices in twenty minutes. The agent tried to tell me that the death certificate was a forgery. By then I fell completely apart and broke down into some of the hardest sobs you ever heard. Someone called a nurse and by the time she got me calmed down, the office was in an uproar and they assigned a different agent to me. All he asked for was my daughter's birth certificate and my granddaughter's. I walked across the plaza and got both of them. The agent was surprised to see me back so quickly. He thought I was going to have to go to the McCormack Bldg. He approved my tax return and even took the receipt for the three certificates I had provided and allowed me to deduct the cost of them. That increased my refund by $25. That office didn't forget me too quickly.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #6999
Master Chef

We have a new bakery in town and they have the biggest and most delicious blueberry muffin I have ever had.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #7000
Master Chef

Yeah! Our farmers market is opening up today for the season.