"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #841
Master Chef

the whole last weekend!
We had our annual meeting from an internet forum and it was soi much fun to see all these women again!
One of these I know for more than six years now but we first met at last years meeting and it was great she was there again!
we all had lost of fun and lots of laughung ands it's a pity this weekend ended soo fast!

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #842
Assistant Cook

Dear All:

The news couldn't have come to me in a more dramatic fashion: Tuesday, on the day of the most adverse weather conditions for this time of the year--a torrential downpour of rain for over 3 days, causing mud & rock slides, flooding, washouts, and closing down railway operations on both sides of the Fraser Canyon. It was after a 20-hour away-from-home layover, and having been ordered to operate my train over unfamiliar territory (CP Rail), due to track closure on our side (CN Rail) of the river. It was exactly high noon when my cell phone rang amidst the thundering roar of the locomotive engine, as I was at full throttle pulling through the last of the ascending grades out of the Canyon, heading onto the gentler, kinder grades of the Fraser River. It was Eva informing me that our adoption agency had just called, and she has to go and pick up our adoption-proposal from China. Neither one of us bother to ask for any further details, on both of our receiving phone calls.

It was almost an hour later when she'd called again, after she was taken totally by surprise, that we're virtually the winners of the-luck-of-the-draw, in a 2 percentile probability, that the Lord has blessed us with a BOY from China!

By the time I arrived at home, all I had time for was to change quickly and head for our church, for the weekly Alpha Course. The good news certainly brought joy, laughter, hugs & kisses from all around, asking for his name-to-be. I was up to the challenge from Brother Roger who'd said that since our family name starts with the letter "H", his (or her) initials will have to be "HRH"; therefore, his name shall be Harrison Robin H., with a matching (to the sounds of “Har-ri-son”
許禮信 - 中國的 “禮義廉恥”,和基督的 “信望愛”) Chinese name.

Harrison was born on 21 Feb.2005, in the City of Ma'An Shan
馬鞍山, along the Yangtze River. Ma'An Shan is a prosperous city in the middle of the industrial heartland of China, which is known for its iron & steel production. The city is located in close proximity to Nanjing, Shanghai, and Hefei 合淝市 (the provincial capital of Anhui Province安徽省). May I salute her diligence, for Eva was quick to locate the phone number of the orphanage, working with only the name of the institution on the proposal. Contact has already been made with the director, and local support upon our eventual arrival has also been secured.
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord.

akwx

Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #843
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wow! That is something to smile about!! Congrats to you and Eva! Is this your first child? What a wonderful life change you are about to enjoy!!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #844
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I never smile. >:|
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #845
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul just wrote from work. Microsoft has decided that instead of the two day holiday break ( Thanksgiving day and Friday) that they are giving everyone who worked on VISTA an extra paid day!! Three days off and then a weekend!!! Yippppeeeeeee!!!! A whole five days to play!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #846
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Paul just wrote from work. Microsoft has decided that instead of the two day holiday break ( Thanksgiving day and Friday) that they are giving everyone who worked on VISTA an extra paid day!! Three days off and then a weekend!!! Yippppeeeeeee!!!! A whole five days to play!
Now that is something to smile about. WooHooo
I'm smiling for you and for me too. Cade and his mommy are going to go to lunch with me today. Can't wait
kadesma
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #847
Executive Chef

akwx, my heartiest congratulations to you and Eva. Being born on 21 Feb 2005, your bundle of joy will be a Piscean. In the Chinese almanac, he will be a Rooster child. For my 2 cents' worth, a Pisces/Rooster person will have a peace-loving personality with an exacting but co-operative character!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #848
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
It's nice to work for Microsoft after all!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #849
Chef Extraordinaire

lol... it does have it's good points.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #850
Head Chef

Harrison was born on 21 Feb.2005, in the City of Ma'An Shan
馬鞍山, along the Yangtze River. Ma'An Shan is a prosperous city in the middle of the industrial heartland of China, which is known for its iron & steel production. The city is located in close proximity to Nanjing, Shanghai, and Hefei 合淝市 (the provincial capital of Anhui Province安徽省). May I salute her diligence, for Eva was quick to locate the phone number of the orphanage, working with only the name of the institution on the proposal. Contact has already been made with the director, and local support upon our eventual arrival has also been secured.
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord.

akwx [/quote]

How wonderful!! Your news made me smile too. My cousin and her hubby have just adopted a little boy from Taiwan (8 months ago) he was 20 months when they got him and has settled in really well. They are so ecstatic because they are unable to have biological children.
When do you go to pick him up???