"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

mm, for a while we had a heck of a time getting my son to eat meat.

the break through came with veal and peppers in tomato sauce.

my son loves tomatoes, and pasta with tomato sauce. so one night, after months of struggling to get him to eat meat, i made a small pot of sauce, then browned some veal cubes, sweated peppers, and tossed it in the pot. the veal was simmered until it was falling apart.
ryan ate a little, but then just started sucking the sauce off the meat, and would keep a wad o' meat in his cheek like chewing tobacco, eventually spitting it out (where ever he pleased ).

so one night, i made ziti, mashed up the veal and some peppers, and filled the "tubes" of ziti with it. he ate the whole thing, i was thrilled! mini veal and pepper cannelonis.

since then, he's gotten used to eating more types of meat. strangely, he'll only eat luncheon meat like balogna if the girl at the counter gives him some. he avoids it at home. he'll eat fish sticks, or chicken fingers, so he's finally trying more stuff.

but if he gets difficult, i mix mashed meat into saucy pasta or risotto, and he eats it every time.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
strangely, he'll only eat luncheon meat like balogna if the girl at the counter gives him some.
He is flirting with the ladies already BT Parents lock up your daughters. Little Bucky is on the prowl

Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, gb. dw just said that it's starting already. she takes him to a toddler music class, and last week when she arrived a few minutes late, all of the little girls in the class got up, interrupting the teacher to come over and give ryan a hug and a kiss.

"now if i could only get one of them to do the dishes..."

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Oh my gosh Bucky - Ryan is adorable!!! Thanks for the food tips - my son won't touch anything with a sauce - we have tried everything! He won't even eat ice cream or a popsicle or anything! Everytime he gets sick he eliminates half of his diet - we are now down to crackers, yogurt, rice cakes, organic wheat cereal and maybe, if you are lucky, a bite or two of banana. Once he starts feeling better (rsv/ear infection) - we will try pushing veggies. Thanks so much for your tips!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

With our 10 year old I was so good, I'd make soups and blend them, and bake fruits and blend them ....
And then came daughter and I did not work as hard, and then another daughter and I worked even less...
With last one when she was 7-8 month I just mashed some food we were eating at the time and ever since that she not only ate what was on the table she started to eat by her self too. The 10 year old would be happy if fed him even now, the youngest one, forget it, she would not touch the food if anybody tried to feed her. She is 2 now, and she can eat things that are so spicy, I would not touch them my self.
The only thing is to watch for sodium and sugar content, other wise remember that the baby is as much of a person as you are, anything you eat she’ll eat too.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
WOW, thanks for all the input and the link to the web site. I look forward to making Emma's food and I think I have some great ideas to work with.

Thanks to everyone!
Bryan
Old 03-27-2006, 06:37 AM   #17
Master Chef

Pediatrician told us to introduce one veggie/fruit at a time for a few days just to be sure that there were no "allergies". That way you'd know what the "offender" was. Good luck in the baby gourmet department!!