Best Candies and Cookies to make to send overseas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicwoman

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone my name is Karen and my grandson is stationed in Germany. I need to know what the best homemade candies and cookies are to send to him that will arrive in relative good shape. I have never sent anything overseas so I am not sure what to make. I am making them with his sisters and mom so they can me more personal. Can any one out their help me? :chef:

Individually wrapped and decorated gingerbread men would be fun, maybe some peanut brittle, candied pecans. Gingersnaps and sugar cookies might work too. I would think a stiff crunchy cookie, rather than soft batter cookie would hold up better. You could pack them surrounded in bags of caramel corn or popcorn as padding. Others will weigh in, and what a nice thing to do!

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
When I have sent things before I sent all sorts of cookies. The most successful was when I made brownies in a disposable pan and sent them without taking them out of the pan. I actually made several bar cookies and sent them this way. They were able to cut and serve when they got them.
Fudge also travels well in a disposable pan, but I cut them before sending and left them in the pan.
I have also sent big round sugar cookies. I wrapped each individually and stacked them into a plastic container about the same diameter as the cookies. Those also traveled well and didn't break.
Some of the other cookies I have sent broke, but they still tasted fine.

I have had several nephews overseas, chocolate chip cookies work good to.
Also here's a hint for you- Buy Pringles -the cans work good for shipping and storage, They tell me the cookies arrive all in one piece and they are great for storage, as they slide in their backpacks. One nephew was limit on space as he rode in a tank all the time. It also helps to keep bugs out. They also love the drink mixes that you put into the water bottles. Indiviual servings. Hard candys, not so much chocolate as in melts. They also like to get the can full of pringles to.

When I was at sea while in the Navy, my DW would send me peanut butter, and Toll House cookies. She made them as she did at home, soft and tender. She would also pack sticks of hard salami, sharp cheddar, and pepperoni. Finally, she would send one of each flavor of the large Cadbury Chocolate bars. Once, she sent a canned ham. Everything was packed in a large box, in layers, with popcorn surrounding everything. All arrived intact, every time.

The only thing you need to watch for is that you send foods that won't mold, or rot. It can take weeks from the time a package is mailed, to the time it is received.

I did love those "care" packages.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't think that these really qualify as candy, but I have sent a variety of fruit roll ups (leathers) to England (where they are sold as Winders)and Poland (where my friend had never heard of them) without any problem.
In my local supermarket, Albertsons, a skinny strip, 3x10cm costs 50c, so it is a lot cheaper to make your own, even though the cost of strawberries and raspberries is up again. I usually mix my berries or apricots with apple sauce, particularly at this time of year, and dry them in a dehydrator, but you can dry them on a cookie pan in the oven if you wish; there are a lot of online recipes.
Cheers

I just saw an idea on Taste of Home for those peanut butter cookies with the Hershey's kiss on top. The person turned the kiss upside down! She made the cookies into balls then pressed the kiss in point first and baked. They had nice flat tops for shipping. Thought that was a great idea.

I regularly send cookies to my kid who's studying on Taiwan. Short bread type cookies seem to hold up best and I pack them tightly in small tins, sometimes sticking cookies in white cupcake papers to make sure they are packed tightly - tight packing helps them arrive in one piece. After the tin is packed I seal the lid seam ALL THE WAY AROUND with clear packing tape. The cookies stay pretty fresh this way and he can open the tins one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom