"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

‘Best places to eat’

‘What restaurants are really close to your heart? Great Seas on Lawrence in Chicago definitely gets a mention, if not just for their chicken wings. They’re so popular that on special occasions, you can see lines of people with boxes on them walking down the street! There’s even a Kickstarter campaign to start a replica restaurant in Naperville that a guy called Chris Yoon who’s a huge fan of the wings has started. I remember going to the restaurant as a kid, and it’s still about today. Any other iconic delicious eateries you wanna share?’

Old 06-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! The best place that is really close to my heart when it comes to places to eat is at home. My chickens got the hummus and tabbouli (sp) I picked up at the "best in the city" Shawarma place last night. Way too salty (hummus) and an odd off putting taste re: the tabbouli. I can make much better at home of those two sides.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Unfortunately my favorite Italian place to date is 300 miles north, in Daytona Beach. Home has been it so far, but I'm hoping a tip we got from our landlord's handyman about a local Italian place brings our favorite closer to home. So far, we really haven't had success with other cuisines isn't very good.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We have a Mexican place near us that serves real Mexican and Tex Mex food.
Their oysters on the half shell are delicious.
The beer is great too!
Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

We're fortunate to have quite a few excellent restaurants in our area. Here are a few of my favorites:

- Tortilla West - amazing open-faced tamale with braised short ribs. They specialize in tequilas; you can get a flight to sample. I also love their Mexican dip - braised pork shoulder with tomatillo salsa for dipping and jalapeño mac 'n cheese.

- Still - it's decorated as a speakeasy, in the half-basement of a historic building. Great, imaginative small plates.

- The Orapax Inn - owned by a Greek family, we've been eating there since we moved here in 1985. Wonderful Pegasus wings (marinated with Greek spices and grilled) served with tzatziki (I like mine better, but it's good ), Greek salad with lots of feta, and delicious personal pan pizzas. Love their pizza sauce.

- Pasha Mezze - great Middle Eastern food. Love the brunch with house-made breads and jams.

- Vintage Tavern - elegant, modern Southern-inspired food.

- Mannino's - Italian restaurant with award-winning she-crab soup. I especially like their antipasto platter.

I love to cook and my food is quite good (she says modestly), but sometimes it's nice to take a break from the kitchen and enjoy a relaxing night out.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Our little town actually has some good eats. Thai, several authentic Mexican places, and a couple of nice Italian restaurants are my favorites.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Master Chef

In this little town if you don't like Mexican or Irish Pub grub, you're out of luck.

We have some good restaurants about 10-15 miles away in the next town though.

Dawg, I'm curious about your town population. Ours is 29,000.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

‘Best places to eat’

We're around 23,000, Kay. The bigger towns are 30-45 minutes away. The "big cities" are 3 or more hours away.

Strangely, I find I like the food here better than what I've had in the "big cities"!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We're around 23,000, Kay. The bigger towns are 30-45 minutes away. The "big cities" are 3 or more hours away.

Strangely, I find I like the food here better than what I've had in the "big cities"!
Interesting perspective. Our "big town" 20 miles away is 15,000. Our town is about 400 if I count the dogs. We have one restaurant, Bully's Pub and Grub, open 4 days for lunch and dinner, and they are packed for every meal, along with a lot of take out. They have a good lunch menu and a limited and delicious dinner menu, but a lot of folks come for the nightly specials. Wednesday is all you can eat R.M.O.'s, and Saturday is prime rib (my fav). They are also the only place in Colorado where I've found walleyed pike on the menu, along with trout almondine, shrimp scampi, and Mark's hand cut steaks from locally raised beef. It's a totally local hangout, but it's really amazing how many non locals show up, especially for lunch. UPS and FedEx trucks, other service technicians are parked in front regularly at noon (we asked and many of them plan their routes to be here for lunch), and I've seen as many as 30-40 motorcycles lining the street.

It's not bad for a town where the only other businesses are a bank (with post office in the same building) and a hairdresser next door to Bully's. Add the town hall and you have the entire business district.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

‘Best places to eat’

Whoa, RP, that is a little town, but Bully's Pub sounds great! Which reminds me, the little town I grew up in, pop. 2500, is the only one I've found that still serves shrimp burgers, which I dearly love, and can't find anywhere else.