"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I don't get it. I play with baking recipes just like I do with stove-top recipes. For instance, did you know that adding two extra tablespoons of cooking oil to your favorite cake recipe results in a more moist, and better textured cake? And how did I find that out; by playing with the recipe. On the other hand, I had a recipe for carrot cake that gave me a cake saturated by oil. I cut the amount of cooking oil in half and now have a moist, but not heavy carrot cake recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I see so many carrot cake recipes with 1 1/2 cups oil in them. I have a recipe that uses half that and is fantastic.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I see so many carrot cake recipes with 1 1/2 cups oil in them. I have a recipe that uses half that and is fantastic.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I have to admit that carrot cake is not one of my favorite cakes. And I love a bowl of cooked carrots mashed up with butter and salt. My sister used to make it all the time, and she had the same problem. Then someone gave her a new recipe with less oil and she thought she was in heaven. It always came out perfect for her. And I don't see how a cake with 1 cups of oil can be healthy. Why not just pick up the jug and guzzle it down.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to admit that carrot cake is not one of my favorite cakes. And I love a bowl of cooked carrots mashed up with butter and salt. My sister used to make it all the time, and she had the same problem. Then someone gave her a new recipe with less oil and she thought she was in heaven. It always came out perfect for her. And I don't see how a cake with 1 cups of oil can be healthy. Why not just pick up the jug and guzzle it down.
Since when does anyone make a cake for their health anyway? However, I agree that 1 cups of oil is crazy. I looked up a couple of recipes and at least one had 3/4 cup and was still raved about for moistness.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Since when does anyone make a cake for their health anyway? However, I agree that 1 cups of oil is crazy. I looked up a couple of recipes and at least one had 3/4 cup and was still raved about for moistness.
How true! That reminds me. I have to make the Hershey's "Death Cake" next week for the Pirate. My grandson named it the Death Cake, because if anyone touches even a crumb of it when I make one for him, he will get his fireman's hatchet and cut their hands off. Then he will kill them after they watch him eat the whole cake himself.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We may not make a cake for our physical health. We might bake one for our mental health. There's no reason that cake shouldn't have healthy ingredients in reasonable quantities. In moderation a "healthy" cake can be a reasonable part of a healthy diet.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #36
Head Chef

Absolutely TL .
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #37
Master Chef

If you are experienced in the kitchen, you can skim through a recipe and quickly decide if it's a workable recipe or not. I proofread any recipe, whether online, in a cookbook, or in a magazine. I find errors in all of them. And just like a novel or any other book, some recipe writers deliver a better, more cognizant result than others. I have a couple of cookbooks that looked pretty, but the recipes are written in such a complicated manner, all I can think is "I don't care if it will taste good or not, I'm not cooking from this one". On the other hand, I've found many blogs written so clearly and simply I almost feel as if the writer is standing at my left, handing out measured ingredients and helpful advice. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...In moderation a "healthy" cake can be a reasonable part of a healthy diet.
That diet is my favorite kind: ALL things in moderation It's how I lost 40+ pounds back in OH, and it's currently taking off the 40+ pounds that depression eating put back on when we moved to MA. Since I (think) I can see a return to home on the (distant) horizon, it's easy to eat moderately again.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you are experienced in the kitchen, you can skim through a recipe and quickly decide if it's a workable recipe or not. I proofread any recipe, whether online, in a cookbook, or in a magazine. I find errors in all of them. And just like a novel or any other book, some recipe writers deliver a better, more cognizant result than others. I have a couple of cookbooks that looked pretty, but the recipes are written in such a complicated manner, all I can think is "I don't care if it will taste good or not, I'm not cooking from this one". On the other hand, I've found many blogs written so clearly and simply I almost feel as if the writer is standing at my left, handing out measured ingredients and helpful advice. YMMV.

That diet is my favorite kind: ALL things in moderation It's how I lost 40+ pounds back in OH, and it's currently taking off the 40+ pounds that depression eating put back on when we moved to MA. Since I (think) I can see a return to home on the (distant) horizon, it's easy to eat moderately again.
I have noticed that when The Pirate goes into a depression, he will eat more. I didn't know it had a name. He is very easily prone to depression. Let two things go wrong in a row and he wants to hide from the world. Then he just wants to eat and eat. Thanks for the name. And now I have to figure out a way to call it to his attention without an argument. It may help stop the eating. Or at least slowing down on it.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you are experienced in the kitchen, you can skim through a recipe and quickly decide if it's a workable recipe or not...

But what if you're NOT experienced in the kitchen...

A novice cook may not detect a crappy recipe and make a lousy meal. It could damage their self-confidence and desire to try again.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
But what if you're NOT experienced in the kitchen...

A novice cook may not detect a crappy recipe and make a lousy meal. It could damage their self-confidence and desire to try again.
Good point Andy.

Novices should come here and try the recipes that other members write that have made with success.

Tags
recipe