"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
or the "scum" of homemade chokecherry or wild grape jam. You know what I mean, being from MN and all. Did you watch the debut of Fargo?
I know exactly what you mean. And no, I haven't seen Fargo. I haven't even seen the original movie. One of these days, though.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
What is everyone's deal with carbs anymore? I just don't get it. It's like the new taboo food - sort of like fats were in the eighties. Humans have been eating carbohydrates for millennia, and in the last 10 years it's suddenly become a bad thing?

Pick your carbs wisely and you shouldn't have to worry about including them as part of a healthy diet.
Too many carbs is the problem. The Drinking Man's Diet came out in 1964 and was very popular. It was probably the first weight reduction diet that was low carb. Low carb works for some of us for weight loss/weight loss retention.

Nowadays there are a lot of type II diabetics, and they certainly have to be careful of carbs.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #43
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
What is everyone's deal with carbs anymore? I just don't get it. It's like the new taboo food - sort of like fats were in the eighties. Humans have been eating carbohydrates for millennia, and in the last 10 years it's suddenly become a bad thing?

Pick your carbs wisely and you shouldn't have to worry about including them as part of a healthy diet.
Because main stream media needs a boogie man to keep people scared and watching the news to find out what the next boogie man is.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

My problem with them is the effect on my blood sugars. I've had to tone down my bread ingestion. No more white bread with butter to mop up gravy, etc. Somehow whole wheat and other breads just don't taste the same, so I do without.

I've been eating a lot of rye bread lately, doesn't have the same impact as white bread.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not an English tradition as far as I'm aware but if they were poor they probably couldn't afford to eat bread and potatoes at the same meal.
He worked in the mill but they had a lot of kids, so yes, they were poor. But so was my family growing up, and filling us up with lots of cheap starches was what prevented us from going hungry. Meat was a rarity in our house. He was illiterate, couldn't read or write, not even his own name, so that's why I think it was not a nutritional decision. Just an odd quirk, I guess.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My problem with them is the effect on my blood sugars. I've had to tone down my bread ingestion. No more white bread with butter to mop up gravy, etc. Somehow whole wheat and other breads just don't taste the same, so I do without.

I've been eating a lot of rye bread lately, doesn't have the same impact as white bread.
Unfortunately, I have not found a bread that does not spike my blood sugars. It is no longer part of my diet except on rare occasions. I have even tried some labeled as high fiber. I did hear that rye bread is a much better choice. It's easier for me to go without than to stop at one slice.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Have you tried sourdough bread, Carol? It also has a lower impact on my blood sugar. Not perfect, but sometimes worth the higher levels.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Have you tried sourdough bread, Carol? It also has a lower impact on my blood sugar. Not perfect, but sometimes worth the higher levels.

Yes, I tried it recently but didn't like the taste. I could probably eat it on a sandwich where there would be other tastes mingled in, but not by itself.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #49
Wine Guy

Quote:

That's what I mean by people choosing their carbs wisely. And I do understand that diabetics have to watch anything that will spike blood sugar.

But mainly I'm talking about the Paleo-Atkins adherents. By way of example, I have an acquaintance who is always on the latest fad diet. For the last year, that's been the Paleo diet. Every time I see her she makes some big pronouncement about how she doesn't eat this or that and how great she feels now that she's eliminated all these evil carbs, etc. etc.

The thing is, it seems like she's gained about 60 lbs.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Carbs have become the nemesis of today's society due to the explosion of Diabetes II. I think if someone ran a poll asking Do you have Diabetes II, the "Yes" bar would need a second page due to the number of responses. Diet and controlling what foods a diabetic eats is the very center of how to control the disease.

Tags
bread