Bread With Your Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?

• Gotta have bread every meal!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the meal

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Take it or leave it

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Never. It's a waste of space.

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My father would admonish us kids, as he was slathering butter on bread, to not fill up on bread before a meal. I also pass up the bread for other offerings at a meal, in fear of wasting stomach space. And this comes from someone who considers herself a darn good bread baker. I've got two loaves of homemade ww bread in the freezer and will toss one today in preparation of a trip to Trader Joes later this morning.

Last edited:
I love bread and could practically live on it, but unfortunately, I now have diabetes and have to stay away from bread as much as possible.

Bread was not served regularly at meals growing up but you could have it if you wanted it.

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would image they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.

Just wondering...

Do you eat bread as part of your main meal on a regular basis?

Let's not count sandwiches. Also, if you have a dietary issue that prohibits eating bread, what did you do before that came into play?

I do not eat bread as part of my meal. I never really got into the habit. Not at home and not at a restaurant. My Mom and Dad did. So pasta - no garlic bread. Thanksgiving - no rolls. Easter - no hot cross buns. I always felt like I didn't want to use up valuable stomach space for bread when there were so many other goodies on the table.

What about you?

Take a second and complete the poll.
Sometimes. It depends on what it is. Once in a blue moon I'll have the "full English" breakfast and I like a slice of fried bread or just bread sliced off the loaf to soak up the tomato juices and the egg yolk. I might have something on toast for lunch. I wouldn't have it with a "meat and two veg" dinner but definitely with a thick soup for lunch. And of course, freshly fried crinkly chips HAVE to have bread and butter to make a chip "butty" (that's a sandwich to you lot)

I love bread and could practically live on it, but unfortunately, I now have diabetes and have to stay away from bread as much as possible.

Bread was not served regularly at meals growing up but you could have it if you wanted it.

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would image they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.
Not an English tradition as far as I'm aware but if they were poor they probably couldn't afford to eat bread and potatoes at the same meal.

When I was growing up we never had bread with regular suppers. For special occasions there were sometimes rolls or biscuits. I still don't serve plain bread and butter with suppers. There could be rolls with a special supper.

We almost always used to include bread with dinner.
Now, thinking to eat less carbs, we do not eat bread unless there is no other starch present in the meal.
I love good bread. But its not in my best interest to eat it as much as I used to.

Note: When I say bread, I am talking good bread or rolls. Not sliced white bread.
I don't care for most all prepared loaf breads.

Last edited:
I love good bread. I usually eat it daily but not at every meal. I made garlic knots the other night - yum! :yum: My goal is to make it more often, including English muffins and pita.

When our daughter lived at home, and especially during her teenage years, I baked a lot of homemade bread and we had it almost nightly. I found it was an inexpensive way to stretch calories at dinner.

Now that she's away at college, I only bake once a month or so. We don't eat nearly as much bread as we used to. I still love it, though. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a nice warm chunk of homemade bread with butter or a little olive oil.

Sometimes a good caponade, tapenade or bruschetta topping will make a great meal with good bread.:yum:

I have to have crusty bread with Italian food or the meal is not complete, and I have to have sliced bread buttered and folded in half with pork chops braised in Bush's beans (my mother used Campbell's pork and beans because they didn't have Bush's back then). Other than that, I can do without it.

I love bread, but if I do serve bread with a meal it's the grain/starch of the meal with only rare exceptions. I'll pick up fresh pitas periodically, still warm when I get them, from the market down the street and serve meat and veggies with tzaziki, hummus, or another sauce to wrap up in it (especially when I pick up some of their lamb, mmm), or I'll serve it with curry if I don't make rice. Occasionally I'll serve bread as a filler if realize I didn't make enough food or I'm in a hurry. I'll eat bread with cheese, eggs, or nut/peanut butter with some fruit for breakfast fairly often, usually as I'm running out the door.

I don't typically make pasta with sauces per say. I usually sautee veggies and meat with garlic and onions and herbs and dress it with a bit of oil and finish it with cheese, or make a light sauce in a sautee pan and toss the pasta in it, but occasionally I'll actually simmer a red sauce in a pot. When I do, I sometimes make garlic bread to go along with it (maybe a couple times a year). DH says stew is made to eat with biscuits, so if I make stew he usually makes biscuits, though I prefer crusty whole wheat bread with mine. When I make my parents' classic hamburger soup (just ground beef, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes and peas all boiled together into a soup) it must be eaten with a slice of buttered bread.

Last spring I bought some wheat berries and a hand-crank grinder and got hooked on home made bread made with freshly ground flour. I use a combination of hard red a white wheat, half ground finely and half coarser and blend that with a bit of white bread flour. It bakes up sky high and has incredible flavor. Sadly I haven't been making it as often lately, so when I do I'm liable to come home from work to find out DH and the girls have polished off half a loaf or more in my absence and then he'll want to take some to work to boot!

Last edited:
Although I am a card-carrying member of the bread-eating tribe, I rarely eat bread. I LOVE bread--all types of homemade bread--flat, unleavened, dark rye, white squishy bread, you name it, I probably will start to drool. However, I rarely eat bread. I think naan compliments many Indian dishes, in the same way that a fresh baguette compliments dishes offered and there's just nothing that can compete with fresh. homemade Limpa or perfect lefse. When I host a holiday meal, I always include homemade bread/rolls. I just don't eat bread often because it is not part of my "new since 2012" way of eating.

When our daughter lived at home, and especially during her teenage years, I baked a lot of homemade bread and we had it almost nightly. I found it was an inexpensive way to stretch calories at dinner.

Now that she's away at college, I only bake once a month or so. We don't eat nearly as much bread as we used to. I still love it, though. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a nice warm chunk of homemade bread with butter or a little olive oil.
or the "scum" of homemade chokecherry or wild grape jam. You know what I mean, being from MN and all. Did you watch the debut of Fargo?

or the "scum" of homemade chokecherry or wild grape jam. You know what I mean, being from MN and all. Did you watch the debut of Fargo?

Mmmm. Chokecherry jam! Grandma and Great Aunt would make it. We'd try to eat the chokecherries plain, and there's a reason they're called that....

Last edited:

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would imagine they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.

My mother had the same rule. She said it was because you don't serve two starches at the same meal. I find myself (except for holidays) doing the same thing. Chicken and dumplings? No bread. Soup that had noodles in it? The same. No bread.

I remember when one member here said that as a child, they were very poor. They were lucky to have just bread sometimes for a meal. That thought breaks my heart. I can't stand to think of a child going hungry. :angel:

I too love it. Unfortunately Carbs and I don't agree. I can literally go to a good Italian resturant, 1 loaf bread, olive oil and wine and I am good.

What is everyone's deal with carbs anymore? I just don't get it. It's like the new taboo food - sort of like fats were in the eighties. Humans have been eating carbohydrates for millennia, and in the last 10 years it's suddenly become a bad thing?

Pick your carbs wisely and you shouldn't have to worry about including them as part of a healthy diet.

Back
Top Bottom