"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Chili Recipes

I'm looking for some good Chili Recipes. Most of the ones I've found online have been plain and we want a kicking chili, some with some with a little heat.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Half Baked

2 pablonos
2 jalapenos
2 aneheims
2 onions
2 large cloves of garlic
2 beers
2 chuck roasts (about 2 lbs each)
2 cups seasoned flour

roast and peel chilies then remove seeds and chop
chop onions and garlic
cube chuck and dredge in flour removing excess

Brown meat then remove
sweat onions and chilies until browning then add garlic
Place meat back in and add 2 beers. There should be enough liquid to just cover the meat and chilies

Simmer about 3-4 hours or until tender.

This has alot of flavor and not alot of heat. if you want spicier add a habanero to the other chilies.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
I'm looking for some good Chili Recipes. Most of the ones I've found online have been plain and we want a kicking chili, some with some with a little heat.
You can always add heat, what's important is to get good flavor in your meat and sauce. I would add chipotle in adobo sauce to any chili recipe, if I wanted more heat.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I use chilpolte chili and habernaro sauce (a drop or two--the green stuff). You can add nice depth by using roasted tomatoes, garlic, onions and grilling your meat. I've made this recipe a couple of times. I've used homemade salsa, and added some habernaro sauce:

Recipe Details

Food and Drink has some very nice recipes, if you haven't looked there for inspiration re: chili, you may want to go take a peek.

What kind of chili do you like? I don't like chili with ground meat--I prefer chunks of meat. I like thick chili--I don't like soupy chili. If it is not thick enough, I add Masa Harina (sp). I do use beer or ale when I make chili. I sometimes sneak in a bit of blackstrap molasses. It is in the base (the sauce), how you flavor it, and the meat if you make a meat-based chili. If you use dry chili, etc., you do want to saute the herbs/spices to let them bloom. It really does make a difference.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I want heat I add cayenne. I love the quick heat it gives and it has a great flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you check the recipes on this web site (International Chili Society):

ICS | International Chili Society
Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I swear by this one
Gordon's chilli con carne recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1 for chipotle in adobo. Nice and rich.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Head Chef

The local chili (Texas) is most properly meat stew in which the sauce is made of peppers with a fair amount of garlic and something to thicken (I use masa). If you want a deep pepper flavor, try this if you're lucky enough to have, as we do, a section of dried peppers in the grocery stores. I pick out a selection of dried chilis, break them down and remove the seeds, and powder them in a blender or small processor. I add ground cumin.You can roast this powder if you want. No onions. Certainly no tomatoes. Lots of people use tomatoes, and the Terlingua bunch tend to use tomato sauce, but I want straight up chili con carne - chili with meat, where there's plenty of chili sauce to carry the meat. Meat means chunky cubes, never ground, browned well in lard. And while I don't consider beans to be the devil's spawn, if you want beans, cook good beans and have them along side, not in, the chili. For more heat, I'd just puree and add small cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and stir into the chili.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
The local chili (Texas) is most properly meat stew in which the sauce is made of peppers with a fair amount of garlic and something to thicken (I use masa). If you want a deep pepper flavor, try this if you're lucky enough to have, as we do, a section of dried peppers in the grocery stores. I pick out a selection of dried chilis, break them down and remove the seeds, and powder them in a blender or small processor. I add ground cumin.You can roast this powder if you want. No onions. Certainly no tomatoes. Lots of people use tomatoes, and the Terlingua bunch tend to use tomato sauce, but I want straight up chili con carne - chili with meat, where there's plenty of chili sauce to carry the meat. Meat means chunky cubes, never ground, browned well in lard. And while I don't consider beans to be the devil's spawn, if you want beans, cook good beans and have them along side, not in, the chili. For more heat, I'd just puree and add small cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and stir into the chili.
No liquid? What are you thickening? Or is the masa simply coating the meat and spices?