Originally Posted by Desmond
Hi Thanks for all this. I like the mushroom log. I suppose I need to tread with caution as some mushrooms are poisonous. I take it the log has user friendly mushrooms but I would need to know what to avoid. Any help on what to look for in this area or is it pot luck.
The best bet it to find someone who really knows. In some areas there are mushroom recognition classes with "field" studies. In France you can take your fungi finds to the chemist's shop for identification (is this still the case, Menumaker?) but that doesn't happen in the UK.
In fact, there are very few mushrooms /toadstools in the UK that can actually kill an otherwise healthy person outright but a lot can make you very very ill. Mushrooms should not be trifled with as there are a lot of poisonous mushroom that can easily be mistaken for edible one.
Pictures in a book shouldn't be relied on as your sole source of information.
I'm assuming that you are in York, England. Here is a list of fungi identification classes.
Fungi Identification courses in UK - search 15 UK Fungi Identification courses