"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Cook

Chocolate Cupcakes

I think this might be a little adventures for me. I was looking at the idea of making chocolate cup cakes but what I really like is the chocolate holders. This may need special containers to get the shape. I have look at recipes on line but only get the ones were you use paper holders. Is this a step too far?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you saying you want to make a cupcake in a bowl shape that you can then fill with something?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Cook

Yes I want to use chocolate to make the holder. Some shops do this as corrugated chocolate and fill with strawberry's and cream etc.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's one solution:

You will need two identical cupcake pans. Make a recipe of cupcake batter and fill each cup in one of the pans about 1/3 full with batter. Then place the second cupcake pan on top so the bottoms of the cups push into the batter. This will force the batter into a cup/bowl shape. Bake, cool and remove.

Be sure to use oil or a spray on the inside of the first pan's cups and the outside of the second pan's cups so they will not stick to the batter.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Or do you want to make a bowl out of regular chocolate, not batter?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

OR, are you looking for a holder in place of the paper cups that are used in each cupcake pan?

To do that you would need to put melted chocolate into the paper cup until half filled, tilt it until all sides are covered with the melted chocolate and then tip upside down to pour out the excess chocolate. To remove the paper cup, place them in the fridge until solid and then gently peel the paper cup off. Then place the cup cake in each chocolate holder. I would suggest making the chocolate cups larger than the cup cakes. Just buy the larger paper cups than the size of the cup cakes. I have seen Jacques Torres (Mr. Chocolate) do this many times with leaves, cupcake paper cups, balloons and many other materials. It takes super patience and can be labor intensive. Be sure to make extra chocolate cups and that your hands are cool to the touch when handling the chocolate. If the chocolate starts to cool and not pour easily, gently heat back to the melted stage. Good luck in your quest.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Or, you could make a chocolate shortbread recipe, cut in circles, and put those in a muffin tin (I'd put circles of parchment paper on top and use dried beans or pie weights to keep the dough in place), bake, and then fill.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Cook

Addie has hit on what I want to do. Maybe I did not explain it properly I wanted a piece of chocolate the same shape and pattern as a paper cup cake. I have looked at some other ideas and you can get re usable silicon ones. It shouldn't take a lot of chocolate for each one but it would depend on how thick I want them.

I need to look at what to put in then now. Doesn't have to be chocolate. So recipes for the fairy cup cake. Should have some ideas here.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
...It shouldn't take a lot of chocolate for each one but it would depend on how thick I want them...
You have to make them thick enough so they won't break when you take off the paper cup or when you fill them.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Addie has hit on what I want to do. Maybe I did not explain it properly I wanted a piece of chocolate the same shape and pattern as a paper cup cake. I have looked at some other ideas and you can get re usable silicon ones. It shouldn't take a lot of chocolate for each one but it would depend on how thick I want them.

I need to look at what to put in then now. Doesn't have to be chocolate. So recipes for the fairy cup cake. Should have some ideas here.

Thanks for the help.
I would suggest you use Reynolds Aluminum cupcake papers. They will stand up to the handling. They will sit on the palm of your hands and the sides are less likely to collapse. Or you could go to a professional baking craft supply store.

Bakechef, any suggestions from you?

Tags
cake, cakes, chocolate, cupcakes