Coconut oil confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
Good grief, does it never end. A food that is good for you one day will kill you tomorrow, and is nutritious the day after. Do what my mom taught me. Eat everything. A bit of this, a bit of that. Don't make one food your entire diet. Eat some of everything. I have three bottles of oil in the house (olive, peanut, canola at the moment, when one runs out I may change). I do ask when I throw a dinner party when I might have a new acquaintance to make sure we aren't dealing with peanut allergies.
unfortunately, Claire, it will never end... not as long as the big pharmaceutical giants are imbedded in the FDA.

i was a HUGE advocate of the 70% carb, 20% protein, 10% fat club back in the 80's... with NO BUTTER, EGGS, OR NATURAL OILS like coconut oil.

and now... we're learning that it's trans fats that clogging our arteries, etc., and that VIRGIN coconut oil, not the hydrogenated stuff tested years ago, has many benefits.

there's a representative here in texas that just got a bill started to GET BIG BUSINESS OUT of the FDA. i hope he gets the bill passed and gets the rest of those lobbyists out of issues that affect our health. we ALL know who they are looking out for... and it's NOT us.

Last edited:
BC, I agree with you. I often think that doctors "invent" problems to sell drugs, and a couple of doctors I know actually will admit (and they will remain un-named) that they are under a lot of pressure to sell drugs, and that every time they turn around numbers are "lowered" (i.e., cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure), supposedly to make their patients pay more attention to their health, but ..... My husband's doctor officially declared him no longer diabetic. He asked me a couple of years ago what I did. Huh? Not a single solitary thing. I've always cooked healthy, we just ate too much, and I could not get hubby to exercise every day since he retired from the Army. No he walks a couple of miles a day, measures his evening carbs, and eats fruit a few times a day (he never used to eat fruit). I'm still cooking exactly what I did before. At one time he was told to not eat anything with coconut oil in it. So the only way to win is to eat a bit of everything. When you decide to eat "only" something or exclude some food group from your diet, you lose. There is a new food scare every week. You cannot reproduce a good diet with a pill.

Back
Top Bottom