Cooking ground meat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephcurry

Assistant Cook
Hey I'm new to cooking so I was just wondering... how long does it take to cook ground meat in a skillet on the stove on medium heat after thawing ??

How much time exactly? 10mins, 15mins?

(1) Pork
(2) Chicken
(3) Bison
(4) Beef

Thanks let me know!

hi steph, welcome to dc.

how much meat?

how big is the skillet?

what type of skillet (cast iron, fully clad stainless steel, thinner stainless steel, anodized aluminum with a non-stick surface, all aluminum inside and out, tin lined copper)?

are you just looking to just get it cooked through, or are you looking for darker browning of the meat?

Last edited:
hey, it's cast iron and it's medium sized. The amount of meat is about::

500grams lean ground beef
454grams lean ground bison
454grams lean ground bison stir fry
450grams lean ground pork
454grams lean ground chicken

but I cook each meat in different pots on different days

I just want to cook it through and get it browned safely

this largely depends on how much you add to the pan. cast iron is a good way to go, especially for browning, but if you put too much in at any time the meat releases it's juices and you end up steaming instead of browning. you'll have to cook it until all of the liquid evaporates and the browning starts which would add more time to the process.

i'd go with 6 to 8 minutes for beef, maybe a little more, but again it depends on the temp and how crowded the pan is. it should brown easily if you do it in 2 or 3 batches. if so, reduce the time. it's more of a visual thing. you'll know that it's cooked through when it's not red anymore and starts to turn brown on the edges of the clumps. stir it around several times per minute to get it all cooked and browning evenly.

i'd say pork requires about the same amount of time or just a little less, and chicken a minute or so less than that, considering the variables heretofore mentioned.

don't be fooled by bison. it tends to stay a little red or pinkish even after it's properly cooked. if you try to cook it exactly like beef it'll be dried out when all of the red/pink colour is gone.

i hope someone will come alomg and help with the times. i've never really timed it exactly. what i suggested are approximates. a minute or two ;ess might be a problem, but it won't kill anyone if you go a bit longer, especially with chicken or turkey.

bison stir fry (i think you mean strips) should be cooked quickly on very high heat as a stir fry should. just barely cooked to medium, but again, bison will stay a little pink.

hth. :chef:

Last edited:
It almost sounds as if he's making a machine to automatically cook meat. He has the pan and mechanical stir thingy in place, and just needs to set the machine to the proper time for each type of meat.

Buckytom gave you perfect advice imo. As long as you allow yourself plenty of time to put dinner together, the time it takes to cook ground meat shouldn't be a concern. When it's lost all it's raw color, it's done. Let us know how long it takes. ;):chef:

Back
Top Bottom