"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Do you know your onions?

Well, I certainly don't but would love to . All these onions I see in the supermarkets, red, spring, yellow, cipollini and so on. They surely all can't be used in the same dishes right? And what dishes might these be? I normally reach out for the yellow onions and know not to burn them but saute them slowly to retain their natural sweetness whatever the recipe. So what about the rest? Anyone know?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Try these two links to get some basic info on dry and green onions.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsdry.html

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html

Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sizzles, I'm not an expert, but I can give you a couple of hints. I keep the hard yellow Spanish onions on hand to cook with, as they are good keepers, and have a strong onion flavor. I buy the large sweet yellow onions on a weekly basis for slicing or caramelizing.
The big red onions are pretty for salads.
I buy the little boiling onions for soups and stews.
By spring onions, are you referring to green onions/scallions? Chop these using tops and all for garnishes for soups and to add a zippy flavor to dips, spreads, oriental and Mexican dishes.
Shallots are a milder onion flavor, and nice for sauces.
Leeks are very mild also, and wonderful in soups, braised vegetables, or as a side dish.
As for the big white onions...the ones we get here are awfully hot.
I've recently started seeing the cipollini in the grocery store here...I haven't tried them yet.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
We grow the sweetest onions down here in the Valley of Texas. They're usually more expensive than the regular yellow or white onions but well worth it if you need sweet onions for your dishes. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../onionhis.html
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Master Chef

I buy Texas Sweets quite often, Dina. They are wonderful.

Very informational website, Andy. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Cook

Cipolline Onions are wonderful! They are quite mild and are lovely made in the following recipe and served with cocktails.

Alexa

Balsamic Glazed Cipolline Onions
The sweet sharpness of both the orange juice and the balsamic vinegar combines with the natural sugars in the onions to create a delicious snack that's perfect to serve with cocktails, as an addition to an antipasto assortment, or as an accompaniment to roasted meats.
2 pounds fresh small cipolline onions or pearl onions
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Blanch onions in large pot of boiling salted water 15 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl of ice water to cool. Trim root end if necessary, leaving core intact. Peel onions.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and sauté until onions have deep golden brown spots, about 9 minutes. Add orange juice and vinegar; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until onions are just tender when pierced with knife, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to medium bowl. Boil juices in skillet until syrupy and reduced to 2/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Pour over onions. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm or bring to room temperature before serving.)
Market Tip
Cipolline onions are small, flat Italian onions. They can be found in the produce section of many supermarkets and Italian markets.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Bon Appétit
May 2005
Old 01-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
We grow the sweetest onions down here in the Valley of Texas. They're usually more expensive than the regular yellow or white onions but well worth it if you need sweet onions for your dishes. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../onionhis.html
And the website couldn't be hosted at any better school.

There's a spirit can ne'er be told...

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

Did you know that they are actually the same species as the Vidalia Onion? The difference is the soil in which they are grown. That red Georgia clay is very low in sulpher, which makes for a very sweet onion.
But I think the Texas Sweets are just as good, and they seem to keep better.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I watched America's Test Kitchen today, and they said that red onions are the best for French Onion Soup. I don't know a lot about the different varieties of onions either, so I was happy to find this thread. I know that round onions are supposed to be hotter and flat onions are supposed to be sweeter.

Barbara
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I watched America's Test Kitchen today, and they said that red onions are the best for French Onion Soup...
Well, that's their opinion. I like a combination of red, yellow and Vidalia.