Do you wash your meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't wash any raw meats, poultry of seafood. In light of the article GB linked, it seems inappropriate.

I always wash poultry and fish, but just under cold running water then pat dry. I wouldn't think of eating poultry that hasn't been washed. I saw the troughs that are used for "washing" chickens and turkeys and it made me sick. No thanks. I wash!! Never beef, pork or lamb.

DramaQueen said:
I always wash poultry and fish, but just under cold running water then pat dry. I wouldn't think of eating poultry that hasn't been washed. I saw the troughs that are used for "washing" chickens and turkeys and it made me sick. No thanks. I wash!! Never beef, pork or lamb.
Unless you are using soap or bleach, what are you really washing off? Sure you may get some visible things off (which I agree is not a bad thing), but it is still just as "contaminated" as before you rinsed it. It would be just like sticking your hands in dirt and then rinsing them under water. Are they really clean?

Last edited:
"The USDA recommends that you do not rinse your meat. All it does is spread bacteria around your sink and anywhere else the water splashes."

I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good. Maybe it is not necessary for slabs of meat that would be seared and therefore sterilized, but what about the inside of fowl? That is the place that I fear most germs will be hiding since that is the place the intestines come out of. And I would think that area does not get as hot as the outside of the bird during cooking.

If there are data that say do not wash your boids, I will be glad to review them.

But until then the chickens, ducks, pigeons, turkeys and the rest of the avian crew get washed.

GB said:
Unless you are using soap or bleach, but are you really washing off? Sure you may get some visible things off (which I agree is not a bad thing), but it is still just as "contaminated" as before you rinsed it. It would be just like sticking your hands in dirt and then rinsing them under water. Are they really clean?

A good rub with Kosher salt and then a rinse shouldn't hurt

auntdot said:
If there are data that say do not wash your boids, I will be glad to review them.
See post #11 for the data.

auntdot said:
I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good.
You are removing bacteria, but you are not removing all of it so your meat is just as contaminated as it was prior to washing, but now everywhere that water hit is now also contaminated so your sink, anything in it, the backsplash, and anywhere the water splashed onto is now contaminated. If you have a bird that was infected with something nasty then you have just spread that nastiness all over the place (cross contamination) without making the meat any safer then if you had done nothing.

Rinsing the meat does not kill the nasties unless you use soap or bleach. Think of it like washing your hands. If you just worked on your car or in the garden or in your gutters, would you eat a piece of pizza after just running your hands under water? All that would do is remove any visible particular that could be removed by running water, but your hands would still be just as dirty as if you did not rinse them unless you used soap.

justplainbill said:
A good rub with Kosher salt and then a rinse shouldn't hurt
Unless in the process of rinsing you have water splash (which always happens no matter how careful you are) and you cross contaminate the area.

This is only an issue if you have meat that is contaminated, but if your meat does have nasties then running it under water could be dangerous.

jpmcgrew said:
Exactly you need a good amount of exposure to germs and bacteria to keep your immunity up.I have friends that practically live in an autoclave they clean,clean constantly they get sick all the time especially when they travel.There is a theory that alot of people develop allergies and get sick alot because they are too clean and dont get enough exposure to germs and bacteria so they actually lose their natural immunities because they are not exposed enough.I believe this, as we rarely get sick we are by no means slobs but dont feel the need to disinfect every thing all the time. I think its just another marketing ploy to sell more products.

Couldn't agree more!
I find most of these recommendations (USDA or not) extreme. I also believe the reason is fear of liability suits on the first place.
The US is over sanitized which is more harmful in my opinion.
I grew up without refridgeration, still leave cooked meals on the stove all they and could list many things I still do that probably would friek some of you out.
Yet, never had food poisoning in my life (or anybody else in my family)
I just believe in common sence and don't listen to all the extreme stuff.:)
Do I wash meat? Most of the time yes.

mitmondol said:
Couldn't agree more!
I find most of these recommendations (USDA or not) extreme. I also believe the reason is fear of liability suits on the first place.
The US is over sanitized which is more harmful in my opinion.
I grew up without refridgeration, still leave cooked meals on the stove all they and could list many things I still do that probably would friek some of you out.
Yet, never had food poisoning in my life (or anybody else in my family)
I just believe in common sence and don't listen to all the extreme stuff.:)
Do I wash meat? Most of the time yes.
I hear what you are saying and a lot of people will agree with you. The way I see it though, it is like driving without a seatbelt. You can drive without wearing a seatbelt for 50 years and never have an issue. That one time you get into an accident though is the time you will be wishing you had worn it. It is a simple bit of prevention that can save your life.

Are you going to get sick because you wash your meat or leave it on the counter to thaw? Most of the time the answer will be no, but that one time where the answer is yes you would be very sorry if you did not practice safe food handling.

auntdot said:
I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good. Maybe it is not necessary for slabs of meat that would be seared and therefore sterilized, but what about the inside of fowl? That is the place that I fear most germs will be hiding since that is the place the intestines come out of. And I would think that area does not get as hot as the outside of the bird during cooking.

Read further down on this page: Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?

If you cook the poultry to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, then the bacteria inside and within it will be killed by the heat. The meat doesn't need to be exposed directly to the heat for the bacteria to be killed.

:) I dont rinse chicken to get the bacteria off I wash it to freshen it up from being in the package.Im not worried about contamination then I just quickly wash out sink with a little dish soap. No big deal.

jpmcgrew said:
:) I dont rinse chicken to get the bacteria off I wash it to freshen it up from being in the package.Im not worried about contamination then I just quickly wash out sink with a little dish soap. No big deal.

Ditto;)

jpmcgrew said:

Another ditto. I think most of us are aware that simple rinsing isn't going to decontaminate the poultry. And I always open my packages of chicken over the sink because they are often drippy! So the sink is going to be exposed to the contaminants anyway.

foodstorm said:
And I always open my packages of chicken over the sink because they are often drippy! So the sink is going to be exposed to the contaminants anyway.
I always open my chicken in the plastic store bag I brought it home in. It stays flat on the counter inside the bag so nothing drips and the sink does not get contaminated. Then the bag can go right into the trash in the garage.

foodstorm said:
Another ditto. I think most of us are aware that simple rinsing isn't going to decontaminate the poultry. And I always open my packages of chicken over the sink because they are often drippy! So the sink is going to be exposed to the contaminants anyway.
:) Exactly the drippy stuff on chicken or the blood on a huge beef tender can have a bit of smell the meat is fine Im just rinsing to get rid of that little bit of funk.Nothing more nothing less.It has nothing to do with bacteria.Its just when it is in a package it just needs a little rinse.

GB said:
I always open my chicken in the plastic store bag I brought it home in. It stays flat on the counter inside the bag so nothing drips and the sink does not get contaminated. Then the bag can go right into the trash in the garage.

The only time I use those bags is if I forget to bring my reusable canvas bags with me, which isn't very often.

foodstorm said:
The only time I use those bags is if I forget to bring my reusable canvas bags with me, which isn't very often.
I am not talking about the plastic shopping bags, but the thinner clear plastic bags they have at the meat counter (and produce section) so that your meat does not drip on your other groceries.

Do I wash my meat?

No sir. I don't like it. Its like washin the flavor away, cooking kills off whatever may be out to get me. Not sold on the "fact" some water would effectively eliminate any bacteria at all.

I can see people who take off some juice to give it the right texture, like how I sometimes gently press a clean paper towel on scallops or fish so its not drippy and cooks properly.

No matter how much care you take, there is coing to some spillage or dripping or whatever. I keep a squirt bottle (old Windex bottle) filled with a combination of bleach and water. After handling poultry or raw meat, I quickly spray the sink and surrounding counter to sanitize. Any knives or scissors go into the sink and get sprayed as well. The cutting board goes into the dishwasher and will get washed on the sanitize cycle.

GB said:
I am not talking about the plastic shopping bags, but the thinner clear plastic bags they have at the meat counter (and produce section) so that your meat does not drip on your other groceries.

I'll have to give that a try next time, GB.

Back
Top Bottom