"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I wear one more often than not - I do a lot of sauteeing when I cook, and it took me a while, but I finally realized that the stains on my after-work clothes were oil spatters. I usually wear one that DH bought me one that has what looks like drawings of various veggies and their names printed on it. I think I have 5 or 6 altogether - one I got from my grandmother's kitchen after she died, one from the Florida Keys with fish and coral painted on it, one solid green one from when I worked in the dining commons in college (you should have seen the mess I made of fried eggs!), one that one of our exchange students gave me with the colors of the German flag - I think that's it.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonne View Post
Sorry I don't wear an apron. I usually cook in my birthday suit.
OUCH! Do you ever saute??? I wouldn't be able to stand by the stove! Hope you're kidding

Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Yes, I wear aprons, have at least 15 - some are seasonal, some are old favorites I even have one with grand kids pictures on it. must have pockets- and I have a towel over my shoulder - no matter what.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
OUCH! Do you ever saute??? I wouldn't be able to stand by the stove! Hope you're kidding
I pray he's kidding. Just the thought sent shivers.

I just got a denim one when I signed up for Pampered Chef but I haven't worn it. It doesn't make sense to me because it will get extremely dirty if you work with any kind of flour.

And GG, I know what you mean about the mystery stains ending up oil, or in my case there was also red sauces which is why I asked for an apron for my birthday. I got one so I try and wear it when I remember. I'm tired of having clothes I can only wear in the house because of the stains.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
QUESTIONS

Do you wear an apron when cooking?

If so, how many do you think you own?

And ... do you have a favorite?
Absolutely! Just check out my avatar . My fav (and the only one I have) has moo cows
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I pray he's kidding. Just the thought sent shivers.
Well sometimes I wear PJs. I dunno never thought of my apparel while cooking. So it is possible. I have before but don't really walk around nude like I use to. Keep in mind I haven't cooked much.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I grew up in the kitchen with my mom and aunts, and always wore one, so I still do. I developed the habit of wiping my wet hands on the skirt of the apron, so if I'm not wearing one, I often end up with wet clothes. I am also a big flour-spreader, and the apron at least keeps it off of me.

In a professional kitchen, I wear an apron over my whites.

I buy them in bulk at the restaurant supply. They are all plain white waiters' aprons, except for the two I got in classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I grew up in the kitchen with my mom and aunts, and always wore one, so I still do. I developed the habit of wiping my wet hands on the skirt of the apron, so if I'm not wearing one, I often end up with wet clothes. I am also a big flour-spreader, and the apron at least keeps it off of me.

In a professional kitchen, I wear an apron over my whites.

I buy them in bulk at the restaurant supply. They are all plain white waiters' aprons, except for the two I got in classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris.
You went to Le Cordon Bleu??!! That's been my dream!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Master Chef

I own two aprons - one printed with a veggie pattern; the other just plain pristine white. I only wear them when I'm cooking for company though.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Yes I wear an apron if I'm cooking on the hob, but not if in the oven, unless it's something that might spit at me. I have a blue & white stripped apron.