"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question Does saffron have a noticable flavor?

I have never cooked with saffron, but have always been curious to try. I find it so interesting that such a little amount goes such a long way. I have never bought it because I do not often come across a recipe that I would want to try that calls for saffron so I don't want to shell out the money on something so expensive to just have it sit in my cupboard and get old.

My question is, does it really impart that much of a flavor (even when such a small amount is usually called for) or is it more for the color. I have to believe it does give a flavor. Let me know your experiences. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

Yes. it does have a distinct flavor (don't ask me to describe it).

Old 11-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

And it is noticeable enough even in such small amounts? I know the answer must be yes, I just find it amazing.

Is it a subtle flavor usually or is it really noticeable?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you made two batches of a recipe, one with and one without saffron, you would be able to notice the difference. Then you'd have to decide if you like it or not!

As much conversation as there is about the cost of saffron, it is sold in very small quantities which are more than enough to flavor a dish. I have bought threads for less than $5.00.

Try it first in a Parmesan and saffron risotto rather than a paella. The flavor will be more noticeable in the risotto.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Andy. The last time I was at Penzys I had picked some up then put it down then picked it up then...I went back and forth a million times LOL. You are right, it is sold in small enough quantities that it would not cost a lot to try it. I am actually surprised that I have not broken down and gotten any yet.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Lots of Indian dishes call for saffron - and saffron flavoured rice is a distinctive flavour to try and see if you like it.

I do!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't use it very much. SO is not a big risotto fan and I haven't made a paella yet.

Of course there are other recipes out there but I haven't gone looking for recipes that give me an opportunity to use saffron.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
Master Chef

My Indian neighbors use it in their cooking, I actually kind of like it, though I have not had any for a long time now. But it is really interesting flavor, just like Andy I decline to describe it. But isn't it also an aphrodisiac ?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
My Indian neighbors use it in their cooking, I actually kind of like it, though I have not had any for a long time now. But it is really interesting flavor, just like Andy I decline to describe it. But isn't it also an aphrodisiac ?
I've heard that too Charlie...wonder what culture determined it was???

I really like the taste of saffron, it's similar in some way to eating flowers like zucchini blossoms just more "herby" at the same time. It's a pleasant, mild taste that works excellently in many dishes.

(Did you know that saffron is the most expensive spice in the world? It's followed by cardamom and vanilla beans.)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

And beware when travelling in Europe - (particularly true in the Greek islands where I've seen it for myself) where the markets sell bags of 'saffron' at bargain prices - which invariably turns out to be turmeric when you open them!

I've had quite a few friends who have fallen for the scam.

I posted a recipe for Cornish saffron cake which is a way of using saffron for a baked way of presenting saffron. It's yummy