"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have seen several other people come on here lately asking similar questions about some new product idea, etc. Is this a course requirement or something? Like for culinary school or some design school?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
along the lines of automated cooking gadgets, though, i've thought that an automatic baster would be nice.
any thoughts?
That's already available. It's called a Reynolds oven roasting bag. The liquid evaporates, condenses on the inside of the bag, then drips all over the meat inside the bag.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

The only time you need a gadget to cook an egg is if you codling them, you really need an egg coddler for that
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
That's already available. It's called a Reynolds oven roasting bag. The liquid evaporates, condenses on the inside of the bag, then drips all over the meat inside the bag.

hmm, i'll have to try one. thanks, caine.

it would seem to me that you end up steaming the animal, really, instead of roasting it in drier heat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
But it wouldn't end up with crispy skin, would it?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
along the lines of automated cooking gadgets, though, i've thought that an automatic baster would be nice.

some king of cylinder that periodically sucks up the liquid in the bottom of a roasting pan, or attached reservoir, and releases it over the turkey or chicken or whatever meat is on the rack in the roasting pan.

i was thinking of using some kind of heat controlled valve that built up pressure, then released the liquid, thus cooling down the valve allowing the pressure to be built up again over a period of time.
Since I started oiling chicken and turkey skin before roasting, I've found they don't need basting. Great time-saver
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

buckytom - thats not a bad but im too far down this road to start again,so il leave that to you! Could be tricky making it cheap enough. Might be better designing a whole new roasting pan with some kind of similar system. Don't know much about cooking but the principle sounds solid

genearlly not much enthusiasm for help boiling eggs or automatic timer so i'm going to concentrate on a help poaching to help beginners, no mess, with a good shape poached egg and full covering of white. A lot of people don't even attempt to boil a poched egg becaus theyr scared so there is a market
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

maverick. this is my final project for product design degree. not sure about other people but kitchens the most most popular place for new products so not surprised you get a few people. it's a good place for a bit of expert advice
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
...along the lines of automated cooking gadgets, though, i've thought that an automatic baster would be nice.

some king of cylinder that periodically sucks up the liquid in the bottom of a roasting pan, or attached reservoir, and releases it over the turkey or chicken or whatever meat is on the rack in the roasting pan...
Probably also overkill, but this gave me the image of those drive-through laser car wash places, where the thing goes past your car shooting soap, water, wax at your car from the top and sides.

I use the roasting bags for my turkeys because they produce a perfectly moist turkey every time. However, if crisp skin is important for you, roasting bags don't give that to you.

Barbara
Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

barbara, that's the point of basting in the relatively dry envrions of an oven. crisp skin with moist meat.

and shiny tires...

you also release the flavors of the fat in the skin differently than when steaming.

a controlled baste without affecting the ambient temp (i.e. opening the door repeatedly) would seem to me the optimal procedure.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote