"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #341
Master Chef

Not a snob Kayelle, just someone who knows what she likes.

Those chocolate orange sticks are pure evil! I've had the Shaw wine, but not for a long time now. Here in MA TJ's has only 3 liquor licences to distribute between their 16 MA locations. Needless to say they're all in closer to Boston and not out here in the boonies.

As most of you know, Aldi's owns TJ;s. We have an Aldi closer to us than TJ and we'll stop there for some things now and then. Last time we were there I picked up a bag of their oyster crackers. You see, up here every time you order clam chowder or most other soups you get an ubiquitous bag of Westminster Soup & Snack Crackers, AKA oyster crackers. Haven'f found any other brand we liked as good...until now. My goodness, neither Himself nor I could tell the difference. Well, except for the price. A 10-oz box of the Westminter is $1.69 minimum, whereas I got the 8-oz bag at Aldi for 89 cents. Not bad, not bad at all.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #342
Master Chef

Thanks GG. Personally I think that Charles Shaw wine is worthless and I can spot it right off the bat..nasty stuff to me. I have no quarrel with inexpensive wine, in fact I have a box of Peter Vella in the fridge as we speak, and enjoy it nearly daily. There's something to be said for inexpensive wine, and then there's really nasty cheap wine like CS.

On the whole, I really like TJ's products, but not this!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #343
Executive Chef

Kayelle, just face the fact that people are different and have different tastes. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the wine. It's just you and it are not destined to be happy together. No problem, TJ's carries a huge selection of almost every you can imagine.

Here's a recent favorite of mine. I usually drink Chardonnay but I occasionally like Sauvignon Blanc (and even Merlot or Chianti). A friend recommend I try Sauvignon Blanc wines from New Zealand--they are grown in NZ's Marlborough region. I've tried three that TJ's carry and found them almost the same (no clear preference) so I've settled on Picton Bay, I think it's $7.99. I usually buy a half dozen bottles at a time.

All I can say is this is NOT your typical Sauvignon Blanc. I'm not a wine snob so I don't now all the fancy words to describe nuances in taste, but to me the NZ SVs seem to fall in the taste spectrum somewhere between ordinary Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, a kind of a middle ground between my two favorite wine varieties.

So I recommend everybody might try Picton Bay Sauvignon Blanc at Trader Joe's for a very unique Sauvignon Blanc. And note the other two brands TJ's carries are almost identical to my taste. For fun, try a bottle of each.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #344
Cook

I LOVE Trader Joe's! As a rule, I never buy prepared foods, but that frozen dessert section at TJ's is downright evil (in a good way). I especially love those pastries that you let rise over night. I have to stay out of that aisle!

One of the things I buy at TJ's on a regular basis are their sweet and spicy pecans. They are a mainstay in my salads. I make sure I always have them on hand.

At first I clicked "last" thinking I should go to the end (not sure why). I don't know how far back it went, but darn... they went on and on about wine. I've only seen beer sold at any TJ's in CT I've been to. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I don't think I'd go to TJ's for wine even if they had it. I like my beer (that's 1 beer, or 2 for special occasions), and they have my favorite Magic Hat at TJ's. 🌹
Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #345
Head Chef

I've been forced to be wary of what I buy at TJs. Some things are good or even great but many aren't.

I don't shop there often but I did last week. I bought a package of the TJ brand of taquitos with beef. I've eaten mystery meat at fast food places but this contained the the most mushy and unflavorful mystery meat I ever encountered.

Note to TJ----if you're going to serve mystery meat, please try to make it taste better and not look like something my dog barfed up. I threw the leftovers out and the rest of the package.

OTOH--- TJs has a really good round sourdough bread!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #346
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I LOVE Trader Joe's! As a rule, I never buy prepared foods, but that frozen dessert section at TJ's is downright evil (in a good way). I especially love those pastries that you let rise over night. I have to stay out of that aisle!

One of the things I buy at TJ's on a regular basis are their sweet and spicy pecans. They are a mainstay in my salads. I make sure I always have them on hand.

At first I clicked "last" thinking I should go to the end (not sure why). I don't know how far back it went, but darn... they went on and on about wine. I've only seen beer sold at any TJ's in CT I've been to. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I don't think I'd go to TJ's for wine even if they had it. I like my beer (that's 1 beer, or 2 for special occasions), and they have my favorite Magic Hat at TJ's. ��
The espresso ice cream is EVIL (to yummy!)!! We also like the oatmeal dunkers cookies.

I also like the coconut oil spray.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #347
Master Chef

I just discovered Amazon.com : Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning With Grinder : Meat Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food
It's excellent and $2.00 if you buy it in the store. The best thing about all their spices with grinders is they are refillable! I just refilled one with dried Porchini mushrooms.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #348
Master Chef

Good to know! I bet that seasoning blend is good. I like the idea of refilling the grinder jars. I still have 3/4 of a jar of their 21 Seasoning Salute (that's good, too!) left and when that's almost gone, I'll buy a jar of their grinder seasoning blend. Added to my TJ's list for next time I'm there.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #349
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Good to know! I bet that seasoning blend is good. I like the idea of refilling the grinder jars. I still have 3/4 of a jar of their 21 Seasoning Salute (that's good, too!) left and when that's almost gone, I'll buy a jar of their grinder seasoning blend. Added to my TJ's list for next time I'm there.
I was shocked when I discovered my TJ's rainbow pepper (excellent too) grinder was refillable! I also have the Lemon Pepper grinder. Frankly, I'd pay $2.00 for one of those nice grinders with nothing in it. My dried mushrooms in one of them is gonna be great.

I'm picking up the South African Smoke on my next trip.
https://traderjoesrants.wordpress.co...g-spice-blend/

Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #350
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I was shocked when I discovered my TJ's rainbow pepper (excellent too) grinder was refillable! I also have the Lemon Pepper grinder. Frankly, I'd pay $2.00 for one of those nice grinders with nothing in it. My dried mushrooms in one of them is gonna be great.

I'm picking up the South African Smoke on my next trip.
https://traderjoesrants.wordpress.co...g-spice-blend/
Thanks for the tip about the refillable grinder!

I was looking at TJ's spices today after reading a thread about spicy food. The refillable jar appeals to my frugal nature!

I need to stop in and see if my Trader Joe's has the Rainbow Peppercorns mixture of Brazilian Pink, Indian Green, Malaysian White and Indian Black Tellicherry Peppercorns. I would like to be able to add a few allspice berries to the peppercorns and see how that tastes.