"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
derailedbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
I'd like to know some other recipes that it can be used in. I'm fairly new to food experimentation, and really new to cooking, but I've jumped in without a life-jacket. I was recently at an Asian supermarket (a genuine one, where everyone was staring at me like I was an Ogre). Maybe I kinda was resembling one; I was the only Caucasion there, I'm 6'1", 220#, with a long, red beard and was stumbling about the produce section like I had found El Dorado. Anyways, I loaded up on everything I'd read about but never used and fish sauce was something I'd grabbed. There were literally 20+ different brands of it there, so I got a small bottle. Took a swig straight from the bottle, and after the initial shock, I absolutely gotta find a recipe to use it in!
__________________

__________________
derailedbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
I have had huge success with the fried rice recipes on Steamy Kitchen ~ and fish sauce is a definite requirement in them.
__________________

__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,718
i like to make a side dish/topping for london broil using fish sauce.

while the steak is broiling, fry some garlic, add ginger, soy sauce, a little stock, and fish sauce, then i add some baby bok choy to the mixture and cook for a minute or three until it just begins to soften but is still al dente.

set london broil aside to rest.

plate the baby bok choy around an oval platter, and reduce the remaining liquid addinh a bit of a corn starch slurry to thicken.

slice the london broil and fan out insde the bok choy ring, add any juices from slicing to the reduced sauce, then pour over top of the meat.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
I'd like to know some other recipes that it can be used in. I'm fairly new to food experimentation, and really new to cooking, but I've jumped in without a life-jacket. I was recently at an Asian supermarket (a genuine one, where everyone was staring at me like I was an Ogre). Maybe I kinda was resembling one; I was the only Caucasion there, I'm 6'1", 220#, with a long, red beard and was stumbling about the produce section like I had found El Dorado. Anyways, I loaded up on everything I'd read about but never used and fish sauce was something I'd grabbed. There were literally 20+ different brands of it there, so I got a small bottle. Took a swig straight from the bottle, and after the initial shock, I absolutely gotta find a recipe to use it in!
Man oh man, you took a swig of fish sauce right from the bottle and enjoyed it? <Gag> <Cough> <Retch>, Dude! You're kidding, right? I've used the stuff for cooking for years, but I would NEVER drink it right from the bottle! Yuck!

That's some seriously strong flavored stuff!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
GLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Near Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,216
If you appreciate fish sauce, you joint an ancient fan club of what's been made all over the world in essentially the same way. Goes at least back to the ancient Mediterranean where the Romans called it garum or liquamen (they were the same, only different - no one knows just how). And it was absolutely essential to their cuisine.

I like Squid brand. (There's no squid in it.) And about four times a year, I trek over to the giant Asian grocery that serves ALL Asian cultures and stock up on the otherwise hard to find.
__________________
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Man oh man, you took a swig of fish sauce right from the bottle and enjoyed it? <Gag> <Cough> <Retch>, Dude! You're kidding, right? I've used the stuff for cooking for years, but I would NEVER drink it right from the bottle! Yuck!

That's some seriously strong flavored stuff!

I do it all the time. Yesterday, in fact.

I have done personal taste tests of different brands by sipping them.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I do it all the time. Yesterday, in fact.

I have done personal taste tests of different brands by sipping them.
Wow, the closest I've came to doing that is just sniffing the bottle! That convinced me to NOT try a sip.

Love it in lots of things I cook though. I generally put in about twice what the recipe calls for.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Wow, the closest I've came to doing that is just sniffing the bottle! That convinced me to NOT try a sip.

Love it in lots of things I cook though. I generally put in about twice what the recipe calls for.
My reaction is just like yours, Timothy, though I do like it as an ingredient. Just not as a beverage.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My reaction is just like yours, Timothy, though I do like it as an ingredient. Just not as a beverage.
Kinda like Mustard. I love mustard and horseradish, but wouldn't try spoonfuls of either, right from the bottle. Maybe a tad on the tip of a finger...I would do that with fish sauce if there was a reason to, but I buy "Phu' quoc' fish sauce, so no taste testing is necessary.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,257
I'm talking tasting like a teaspoon of it at a time.

Not sure how you can use an ingredient if you don't taste it on its own.
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.