"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I'd like to know some other recipes that it can be used in. I'm fairly new to food experimentation, and really new to cooking, but I've jumped in without a life-jacket. I was recently at an Asian supermarket (a genuine one, where everyone was staring at me like I was an Ogre). Maybe I kinda was resembling one; I was the only Caucasion there, I'm 6'1", 220#, with a long, red beard and was stumbling about the produce section like I had found El Dorado. Anyways, I loaded up on everything I'd read about but never used and fish sauce was something I'd grabbed. There were literally 20+ different brands of it there, so I got a small bottle. Took a swig straight from the bottle, and after the initial shock, I absolutely gotta find a recipe to use it in!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Head Chef

I have had huge success with the fried rice recipes on Steamy Kitchen ~ and fish sauce is a definite requirement in them.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i like to make a side dish/topping for london broil using fish sauce.

while the steak is broiling, fry some garlic, add ginger, soy sauce, a little stock, and fish sauce, then i add some baby bok choy to the mixture and cook for a minute or three until it just begins to soften but is still al dente.

set london broil aside to rest.

plate the baby bok choy around an oval platter, and reduce the remaining liquid addinh a bit of a corn starch slurry to thicken.

slice the london broil and fan out insde the bok choy ring, add any juices from slicing to the reduced sauce, then pour over top of the meat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
I'd like to know some other recipes that it can be used in. I'm fairly new to food experimentation, and really new to cooking, but I've jumped in without a life-jacket. I was recently at an Asian supermarket (a genuine one, where everyone was staring at me like I was an Ogre). Maybe I kinda was resembling one; I was the only Caucasion there, I'm 6'1", 220#, with a long, red beard and was stumbling about the produce section like I had found El Dorado. Anyways, I loaded up on everything I'd read about but never used and fish sauce was something I'd grabbed. There were literally 20+ different brands of it there, so I got a small bottle. Took a swig straight from the bottle, and after the initial shock, I absolutely gotta find a recipe to use it in!
Man oh man, you took a swig of fish sauce right from the bottle and enjoyed it? <Gag> <Cough> <Retch>, Dude! You're kidding, right? I've used the stuff for cooking for years, but I would NEVER drink it right from the bottle! Yuck!

That's some seriously strong flavored stuff!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

If you appreciate fish sauce, you joint an ancient fan club of what's been made all over the world in essentially the same way. Goes at least back to the ancient Mediterranean where the Romans called it garum or liquamen (they were the same, only different - no one knows just how). And it was absolutely essential to their cuisine.

I like Squid brand. (There's no squid in it.) And about four times a year, I trek over to the giant Asian grocery that serves ALL Asian cultures and stock up on the otherwise hard to find.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Man oh man, you took a swig of fish sauce right from the bottle and enjoyed it? <Gag> <Cough> <Retch>, Dude! You're kidding, right? I've used the stuff for cooking for years, but I would NEVER drink it right from the bottle! Yuck!

That's some seriously strong flavored stuff!

I do it all the time. Yesterday, in fact.

I have done personal taste tests of different brands by sipping them.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I do it all the time. Yesterday, in fact.

I have done personal taste tests of different brands by sipping them.
Wow, the closest I've came to doing that is just sniffing the bottle! That convinced me to NOT try a sip.

Love it in lots of things I cook though. I generally put in about twice what the recipe calls for.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Wow, the closest I've came to doing that is just sniffing the bottle! That convinced me to NOT try a sip.

Love it in lots of things I cook though. I generally put in about twice what the recipe calls for.
My reaction is just like yours, Timothy, though I do like it as an ingredient. Just not as a beverage.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My reaction is just like yours, Timothy, though I do like it as an ingredient. Just not as a beverage.
Kinda like Mustard. I love mustard and horseradish, but wouldn't try spoonfuls of either, right from the bottle. Maybe a tad on the tip of a finger...I would do that with fish sauce if there was a reason to, but I buy "Phu' quoc' fish sauce, so no taste testing is necessary.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'm talking tasting like a teaspoon of it at a time.

Not sure how you can use an ingredient if you don't taste it on its own.