Food you wouldn't put in your mouth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you who find White Castle’s questionable I completely agree, yet I eat them every chance I get. They do “slide” through your system but it is well worth it. I can’t comment on White Castle’s other foods I never get them. Eight sliders and a cup of coffee is the best hangover preventive/ cure I know.

Regarding other strange foods a Malaysian friend of mine said “I will eat anything that has its back towards the sun”. A few of the things mentioned here I have not tried, but would if the opportunity presented itself. Sure I like some things better than others but good preparation can make some nasty foods quite tasty. I have had tripe numerous times in my life and disliked it every time except a delicious exception while in Rome. I was hesitant to order it, but when in Rome……

Last edited:
Oh boy.......guess I'll have to go through the alphabet to think of these:
A = Alligator
B = Brains.....any one see those old video that were really graphic and one showed people eating monkey brains :sick:
C = Callamari....I think I spelt that right. Had I never seen what it looked like to begin with I probably would have tried it.
D = Dove.....the thought that it may be a mate to another and the mates just living its life forever all alone keeps me from ever trying that......plus their too pretty.
E = Elephant.........that just grosses me out. Escargo.....:sick: they look like slimmy little buggers.
F = Fograh........see I don't even know how to spell that and don't care too.....looks like a diseased liver.
G = .....can't think of anything
H = Hearts.......need I say more
I, J, K = can't think of anything
Liver = Tried it refuse to ever try it again. Oh and Liverworst........:sick:
M, N = can't think of anything
O = Octopus.....those little buggers are just freaky
P = Pigeons, Possum
Q, R = can't think of anything
S = Snails........like I mentioned before
T = Tongue.......ewwwwwwww!
U, V, W, X, Y, Z = can't think of anything.

I'm sure there are plenty more. I'm pretty open to trying some things but cut little animals I refuse........or if I see it prior and it looks disgusting alive or slimmy or..........you get the point.......there isn't no way thats going pass my taste buds!

I refuse to eat brains and spinal tissue. Look up "Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy".

After that, the smell of cooked spinach makes me naseous. Raw, I love the stuff.

I'm not going to get into my MIL's cooking.

AllenMI said:
I refuse to eat brains and spinal tissue. Look up "Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy".

After that, the smell of cooked spinach makes me naseous. Raw, I love the stuff.

I'm not going to get into my MIL's cooking.

I agree!

Cameron

I'l try anything at least once & if I like it, I'll keep eating it! I tried raw oysters once & the first one I swallowed whole, but on the second one, I made the mistake of chewing it. I thought I was going to loose it in the middle of the resturant!:sick: I won't say that I'll never try them again, but I'd have to be starving to death first! I can't really think of anything else though. I tend to try foods that I don't like just to see if my taste has changed any. Somethings I like better now than I did a few years ago.

Oh I remember at an African food fair, there were caterpillars frying gently in the South African section. I took one look and took off. Having said that, as kids we used to catch locusts and roast them on open fire and crunch them. The thought of that now?:yuk:

sizzles said:
Oh I remember at an African food fair, there were caterpillars frying gently in the South African section. I took one look and took off. Having said that, as kids we used to catch locusts and roast them on open fire and crunch them. The thought of that now?:yuk:

I used to wait up for my dad to get off work at 11 pm on the weekends and we'd hang out together in his garage and eat sardines and crackers. Now that I'm older you couldn't get one of those slimmy buggers near my mouth :sick:

I decline any sort of organ (which rules out haggis and "calf fries" as they're called in Texas ), insects, endangered species, or anything that could be a family pet, snake ( did try it, unknowingly, tough and dry .same for quail..if you want to eat something that tastes like chicken...eat chicken !) possem, armadillo....squid, oysters...........brussel spouts ( like tiny rotten cabbage! ) sardines, pickled pigs feet.....and, most especially OKRA, unless it's deep fried.

Following on Norma's "endangered species" (which I agree with 110%), I could not eat anything that falls into the house pet category, including rabbit :( To my Italian born DH this comes across as a bit strange, as rabbit is quite common on Italian dinner tables, but to me they are a pet! As well I could never eat horse meat, something that is still done in limited quantities in some places in Europe (donkey and mule are also eaten) :sick:

SizzlininIN said:
I used to wait up for my dad to get off work at 11 pm on the weekends and we'd hang out together in his garage and eat sardines and crackers. Now that I'm older you couldn't get one of those slimmy buggers near my mouth :sick:

I love sardines! Shall i trade them in for my locusts SizzlinnIN?:LOL:You interested?

I had to borrow the idea of SizzlininIN... there are lots of things...

A - Anise
B - Brains, Blood
C - Caviar (okay, it is a refined gourmet food... not for me...)
D - Deer, Dog
E - Ears, Eyeballs, escargots
F - Frog
G - Giblets
H - Haggis, Heart
I - Innards, Insects
J - :ermm:
K - Kim Chee, Kidney, Kibbles&Bits:LOL:
L - Liver, Lamb, Licorice
M - Mutton
N - :ermm:
O - Oyster, Octopus, Ostrich
P - Pigeons, Pressed Ham
Q :ermm:
R - Raw Fish (except smoked salmon), Rabbit
S - Stomach, Snake, Spam, , skins from poultry, skunk
T - Tripe, Tongue, Taco Bell

I am sure I have forgotten some so don't even think of sticking some dead animal that is not listed here in my face to eat it please!!

ya know, i really couldn't think of a food i wouldn't try, at least once. except anything still alive, like bugs. renfield i'm not.

I noticed several of you mentioned rabbit and quail. I know bunnies are cute, but considering their reproduction rate, I think mother nature surely intended them as food. They sure are good eating, as is squirrel.
Quail is exquisite when cooked properly, but unfortunately, we don't have many wild quail left around here, although there are farm-raised ones available...for a price.

urmaniac13 said:
C - Caviar (okay, it is a refined gourmet food... not for me...)
I have always had a feeling that caviar is one of those things that no one really likes, but they say they do so they sound chic! I love the scene in the movie Big, when Tom Hanks tries the caviar. I have never tried it, but that is the kind of reaction I picture most people really wanting to have!

:) Barbara

barbara, i truely like caviar. granted, it can be very strong flavor, fishy and salty, but sometimes, that's what i crave. it's like anchovies. either you love them or hate them.

...I'd eat that

Now, do you mean things that aren't traditionally considered to be food (in American culture)? Because really, I'd just as soon not eat live crickets. Or cats or dogs or hamsters, for that matter. But someone, somewhere, probably thinks those things are as common as hamburgers are to us (OK, maybe not the hamsters).

As far as "traditional" foods go: I never, ever liked tripe. Yeck! My Mom still makes it sometimes, and offers me leftovers when I visit (I always respectfully decline the offer). It doesn't bother me that it's a (part of a) cow's stomach, per se. I just really dislike the texture of it. But I'll still eat liver, and veal kidneys and stuff like that (assuming they're prepared right).

I have not yet got around to trying Rocky Mountain Oysters, either, but if I'm ever in a place where they're popular, I'll certainly give them a go!

--J:mrgreen:

Welcome, 240brickman! After reading your post and your admirable willingness to try different cuisines, you do know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, right?

Back
Top Bottom