"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gingerbread houses?

Anyone else make gingerbread house? I have only made 2 in my life. I'm going to have the grandkids over Thanksgiving weekend and thought that decorating a gingerbread house would be fun. I'd like to make 4 small houses, one for each child, then let them decorate themselves. Just thinking that's A LOT of sugar and candy!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Never made gingerbread houses but I've made graham cracker houses. It was a lot of sugar but I was a kid so I didn't really care. It was fun.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe you would like to buy four kits. Then all you have to provide are the trimmings. I would suggest you get a kit for yourself so you can practice and give them some ideas. Or start cutting out pictures so they can get ideas from them. Then all you have to do is whip up some frosting and buy different candies. Buy extra as they will eat as much as they put on the houses.

I made two of them when I only had three kids and one of the was an infant. It was a LOT of work and sugar. Gingerbread can be hard to work with as the dough loves to be sticky. They were two very interesting houses. I doubt either the gingerbread boy or girl would want to live in one. Just like the trees the kids decorated over the years, however it came out, that is the way the houses stayed. They thought they were beautiful, and they were. Gumdrop shutters, chimney on the ground, and every time I had to leave their side to tend to the baby, mayhem broke out. Finally around February they agreed that the house should be put outside for the birds to eat. Their father took them finally down to the trash and buried in the bottom of the trash can.

I have to admire you for wanting to take on this task. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Master Chef

This might help!

3 Ways to Make Gingerbread Houses Using Graham Crackers - wikiHow
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How to Make a Gingerbread House | Simply Recipes

I've never made one from scratch.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend of mine used to have gingerbread people-making parties when her kids were young. Seems like that would be easier. I saw a tip somewhere that suggested using one or more muffin tins to hold the candies.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertrish View Post
Anyone else make gingerbread house? I have only made 2 in my life. I'm going to have the grandkids over Thanksgiving weekend and thought that decorating a gingerbread house would be fun. I'd like to make 4 small houses, one for each child, then let them decorate themselves. Just thinking that's A LOT of sugar and candy!
I noticed the other day that Amazon have kits to make gingerbread houses with kids.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Ah this brings back memories! I remember my grandmother sending me a gingerbread house from Swiss Colony and after that I was determined to make one. From about the age of 10 on, I made at least one every year!

My favorite was a church that I made, I made hard candy and poured it into the window holes after baking, then using wilton paste colors, painted on them to make them look like stained glass!

In my junior senior year of high school I was pretty good at making them and my vocational school class would make them for a display in a store window on main street.

Thanks for letting me ramble, LOL

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hi all! This is one of the houses I made about 15 years ago for my Granddaughter pictured here (now 18!) I made it with a Wilton pattern that I bought years ago. I looked online and it looks like you can download it for free. In place of some of the candy I made some small sugar cookies. You can see a moon shaped one in the photo.

Jeanny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	19744  
Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice! Welcome to DC

Tags
bread, ginger, gingerbread house