"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you make/serve Green Bean Casserole?
YES! We love this dish! 11 37.93%
NO! Can't stand it! 12 41.38%
Yes. I don't like it, but make it for others. 0 0%
I don't care one way or the other 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You could follow the original recipe and use any of Campbell's creamed soups. The people in my family that rave about it are more interested in the French's onion rings than anything else so it is always made in shallow baking dish to give as much surface area as possible. It has a cult following in my family along with the wack'em on the counter crescent rolls. In my family I think it has more to do with subliminal advertising than tradition.
Same here. I only make it once a year so why not go with the traditional recipe. We also have the wack'em crescent rolls too. It's just not Thanksgiving with out em.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD

Same here. I only make it once a year so why not go with the traditional recipe. We also have the wack'em crescent rolls too. It's just not Thanksgiving with out em.
We call them whop'ems here. Must be a regional thing.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We call them whop'ems here. Must be a regional thing.
I always thought "whack'em" was a mafia thing....
Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #34
Sous Chef

No offence taken Steve.....I don't even know why I mentioned Velveeta....I haven't had it in the house in years, but I definitely do use Cheeze Whiz sometimes
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #35
Master Chef

I have only had it once made by someone who brought it to my house and I made it once by following the recipe on the Campbell's site. Neither time was there any cheese involved.

Classic Green Bean Casserole (click)

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans

1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
  • Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
  • Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
  • Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Would love to see your recipe Steve. My family loves it so I make it several times a year. I like to use the golden mushroom soup to change it up on occasion too. I use the French style green beans too.
I don't use an actual recipe, I kind of make it up as I go. But, it's very similar to this one:

Philly Green Bean Casserole - Kayti OHanen's Recipes

The one thing I do different is using whole cream, rather than milk (yeah, lots of calories but it is, after all, a once-a-year holiday dish). And I use Panko bread crumbs on top, because they add a nice crunch.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I cook almost everything from scratch, but I do occasionally use canned cream soups in recipes, especially when I need to put something together quickly or when I'm tired of listening to my kids complain about what I cook. They almost never like the stuff that has complex flavors and requires a lot of prep time. They'd much rather have processed stuff like recipes made with cream soups so I do humor them sometimes and don't really mind the flavor.

So I don't have anything fundamentally against cream soups and I do like the green bean casserole. I don't love it, but it says "Thanksgiving" to me since my mom almost always brings it to our Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

i never really liked it when one of my family brought it as their thanksgiving dish, so i just never made room for it on my plate. if no one notices, no one's feelings get hurt. there were so many other things to eat that a little deception was easy.

but thankfully, my eldest sister started making a dish with steamed fresh stringbeans, fresh savory, s&p, and a drizzle of very good evoo. it's delicious and good for you!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

That's pretty slick, Tom.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Smile I like Green Bean Casserole

I like Green Bean Casserole, and I like mushrooms, some cream of mushroom doesn't bother me. That said, GBC can get mushy - It definitely needs some crunch or some texture (probably why I like those french fried onions). I've never made it, but it looks pretty easy. I wouldn't mind adding some sauteed onions and mushrooms. Maybe even green onions if not sauteed onions.

If I wanted to add cheese, maybe parm/romano, or even pepperjack for some kick...

The gears in my brain are turning...

Tags
casserole