"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-01-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Where are you located? What's your background? Would something like Paula Deen's restaurant do well in your neck of the woods? It's such a simple concept, I don't know why more people don't do it. Carbs. Grease. Greens.

The following is turning out to be one of the hottest things going. I love L&L whenever in Hawaii.
http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/

Old 10-01-2004, 06:17 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Okay Reaper. Here's what I do.

Take about a pound of boneless chicken breast or any other chicken you want. Put it in a large pot. A dutch oven would be fine. To that add a whole 16 ounce bottle of robusto italian dressing and about half a jar of hot banana peppers with about 1/2 to 3/4 of the juice. Then I let it boil for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile I saute 1 large vidalia onion with green peppers and mushrooms. when the chicken is done i shred it up (or you can cut it into bite size pieces) and then i throw that in with the veggies.

Then I take 2 packages of chicken flavored rice a roni and prepare according to the package directions. Put all the veggies, chicken, and rice back into the dutch oven and simmer until all the water is evaporated.

You can also play around with it to make it your own. hope you like it

Old 10-01-2004, 07:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Actually, Reaper, the recipes in a restaurant are only one 'ingredient' in what makes a successful restaurant. Opening a food business can be the most draining, money-sucking enterprise on the earth.

You need to have lots of money; a sound business background; lots of money; a sound food service industry background; lots of money; and lots of money.

There are more restaurants that fail every year in the US than make it. Don't go into this on a 'whim' without doing research, research, research!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Marmalady

I know all about it , In 1990 I owned 38 dry-cleaning stores . Today I have none and I am retired . I closed about 1/3 of the stores and sold the rest . Our industry was basically targeted by S. Korean immigrants and they have pretty much taken over . Years ago I owned a Coney Island restaurant also so I do have a little food back ground also . But I know what you mean about these places sucking you dry , and believe me I would have it all down to a science before I jumped in . I was in business for 39 years and have a pretty good grasp of what it's like . I have even thought about getting into the frozen food business and just wholesaling to restaurants or grocery stores . Like I said in my original post it's all still on the drawing board . I'm open to suggestions and or advise . The Reaper !
Old 10-02-2004, 12:49 AM   #15
Hospitality Queen

Reaper,
the fact that you are considering a business with your son is awesome! What an amazing bond you two will form!
I really respect your idea.
Which part of the country are you in?
Out here in Los Angeles County, you'd think everyone was making it on tofu, smoothies and lettuce wraps.
There are two "mom & pop" restaurants in my city that are the most frequented:
1 is a little tiny mexican take out where they serve huge portions, with the most delish marinated beef in their flautas. The bean burritos have (no joke) about 1 full cup of grated cheese in each, and the pico di gallo is made fresh throughout the day. There is always a line around the block for this place.
The other just doubled in size this summer - it's known for 1 thing ...it's BBQ sauce. My neighbor's friend owns it, and she said that she and her husband grew this restaurant (their first venture) from his love of barbequeing and her special sauce. They serve wings, ribs and believe it or not, the greatest hot dogs on the west coast.

I wish you the greatest, reaper !
Old 10-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

reply to jkath

The type of restaurant you described definitely has some fascination . I presently live in the suburbs of Detroit but not for long , I'll be heading your way in a month or two . I want to look around Arizona , New Mexico and Nevada for a new place to live . Since I no longer have business ties here , I want to go somewhere where it's warm year around . The Reaper !
Old 10-02-2004, 01:32 AM   #17
Hospitality Queen

then that's your niche!

Find something that's strictly "Detroit", and bring it out west!

Think about it - people in the west gobble up "Philly Hoagies", and "Cajun Cookin' " ................. those in the Dakotas crave a real true "Mexican Guacamole" and "Tex-Mex" ...........

What's the signature comfort food of Detroit?
Old 10-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Reply to jkath

We really have a bit of everything here . We do have some pretty good Italian restaurants and all of the Franchise places like red Lobster , Out Back etc etc . There is a city just outside of Detroit that is predominantly Polish and they have a lot of Polish places . We have some Greek places and now we are getting a number of Asian carry out places but the food in lousy . I only go to a few places and not very often , I like my own cooking much more . I really believe if you have about 10 or 12 really world class recipes you can have a pretty good little restaurant .The Reaper !
Old 10-02-2004, 02:21 AM   #19
Hospitality Queen

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Polish Food!
Do you know that I have only heard of one Polish place in this area (and it's something like 30 miles away)!

I think you will do well, with your determination :)

Please keep us posted on your goings on.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Saw this on tv, but can't remember on what show (senior moment)!

The company set up for take home. They have an outlet in main train commuter station in NY, so the commuters come by and pick up real dinner instead of fast food to take home. They only cook 3-4 items per day; and things that are designed to reheat.

Of course, a NY train station is perfect to catch commuters, but I think you could do a drive-through in the right location and achieve the same thing.
I do think there are a lot of people who would rather pay a little more and eat good food. Also think a web site publishing the menu and allowing "reserved" orders would help things along.

Good Luck!