"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...m-ingredients/

Old 07-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I get ya, Zagut. I'd grind and freeze the meat and experiment on small portions, keeping a log of what I used and how it came out, ideas for next time, etc. It's the way I create a new recipe until I get it the way I want it.

I like the flavor of deviled ham myself, but it's inedibly salty. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. You may find you've made something you like even better than the original.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Head Chef

Dawgluver, Thanks so much. I found that too. But it leaves me with many questions. Then again what in life doesn't leave us with questions?

Zhizara, I kind of figured that's what I'd have to do. Experimentation is usually the best way to go. I just wanted to see if there was a lazy way to get what I wanted. I'm just really bad at keeping records of what I do in the kitchen. That fantastic taste is usually a one shot deal for me. Maybe this time I'll attempt keeping a record because I've got plenty of ham to play with.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Zagut, I finally got tired of creating something new, having it come out great, and then not being able to recreate it.

I made myself a form for when I try something new, and make sure I list the ingredients as I go. Each time I make it, I pull out the form and note any changes, and afterward include a note about how it came out.

I've finally been able to perfect a few tried and true recipes this way so that I can repeat them any time. Also, sometimes you end up with different versions that are all good.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

Okay, Here's what I've come up with so far.
I ground up the leftover ham. Ran it through the grinder twice with a 1/8 inch plate. It needs some kind of moisture to get it into more of a pate consistency rather then the pellet form the grinder alone produces.
Took 1/2 pound to experiment with.
Added 1 Tbs. Dry Mustard. (Coleman's)
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tsp. Ground Turmeric
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 Tbs L & P Worcestershire Sauce

I mixed this part of the concoction with some Mayo & pickle relish and had it on toast with some lettuce for a sammy.
Wasn't bad but it could use less Worcester Sauce.
I added a Tbs. because that was what was left in the bottle and figured WTH just use it all.

I've added some onion powder to what's left of the witch's brew and am going to see what that does.

Once I'm not tired of ham I'll thaw out some more of the ground ham and try again.

Any ideas are welcome here. This is truly an experiment for me but at least I might be able to start to keep some kind of record of what I destroy in the kitchen.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Did you remember to put Worcestershire sauce on your grocery list?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

Why yes I did put it on the list.

But it's not urgent because I always have a spare bottle of Lea & Perrins.

It's one of those items that I never want to be without in the kitchen.

I wish they would go back to the old orange & black label. My Grandfather showed me something on it that made me love it.