"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
How come? What does it do?
glug ......glug.............ggggggggggggglllllllllllllu uuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggg...and then it stops working

Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
Everymom

Uhoh...that sounds bad...thanks for the info. We are getting one soon and I would have done it...WHEW!

Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Uhoh...that sounds bad...thanks for the info. We are getting one soon and I would have done it...WHEW!
Same goes for rice - beeeeeeeeg mistake
Old 09-20-2004, 06:17 PM   #24
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Now that you've made it, what do you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Yes, I'm talking about leftovers. This usually doesn't matter to me, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm really looking for ideas of what other people turn they're leftover into, not just eating leftover turkey sandwiches. I'm looking for things to do with leftover mashed potatoes, different ways to use the meat, things to do with rice, etc.
I do not do leftovers. What is not eaten at holiday dinners gets sent home with my guests. One year, I made plates of dinner including the rolls, desert and a soda placed on sturdy throw-aways plates and my cousins took and distributed them out to the homeless around town. Got rid of the leftovers, made a lot of people happy, including ourselves.

:roll: GO DUCKS
Old 09-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #25
Sous Chef

In regards to turkey, I freeze the leftovers. They freeze really well. Turkey pot pie is one of my favorite leftover turkey meals.

We usually eat a late lunch/early dinner, so we're usually snacking on leftovers in the early evening.

The mashed potatoes can be used as a base for corned beef hash patties. Good breakfast food.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #26
Master Chef

If I have leftover roast chicken , or turkey, I rely on good old Campbell's crream of soup.. could be mushroom, chicken, celery, asparagus...
and I cook up some egg noodles and mix it all together. Nothing fancy but hubby likes it. Sometimes I will add some veggie to it.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Boy, how times change!

I saw this thread, and thought, "I didn't make that post!". Then I saw the date. Wow! Over three years ago!

When I made that post, my daughter was only a couple months old. Now, she's a happy, healthy 3-y.o. My twins are 5, and the oldest boy is now a teenager.

Holiday leftovers? They don't last long. Maybe 36 hours, and that's pushing it.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I do not like left overs at all
Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Most things that are good the first time are good leftover in soup. We like soup from leftovers better than made fresh - more variety in flavor.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
The only thing I can't eat left over is fish.
I use leftover salmon to make salmon patties or seafood pasta. Leftover shrimp also goes into seafood pasta, or Zatarain's gumbo.

DH slices leftover baked potatoes into wedges and browns them in a little oil in a skillet.
We also sometimes spread them out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic/herb seasoning. They then go into a 375 oven until golden on one side...then flip them with a spatula and do the other.

Other leftover vegetables, besides being good for soups, rice and pasta dishes, are good for topping baked potatoes.
You can also use them to make a good impromptu dip. Broccoli or spinach are especially good.

Has anyone mentioned using assorted leftovers as fillings for calzones? In fact, they can be used for all sorts of fillings.

I like to slice a French loaf in half lengthwise, pull out most of the inside, and fill it up with whatever I have plus cheese and mayo (Miracle Whip),
set halves on foil-covered baking sheet, cover loosely with foil (so foil doesn't stick), and put in 350 oven until filling is hot and bubbly. Then take foil off and let the top brown a little if you want. It's good either way.
Let it set a few minutes, then slice and serve. It's even good cold the next morning.