"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
... I know when I did boil broccli the water was green and it was dumped.
I used to make my mom save the water the veggies were cooked in then I would drink it. Was I the only one who did this as a kid or am I just weird

Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #32
Certified Executive Chef

I have sent an e-mail to Sara at her web site inquiring who the lady was, the date of the show and the name of her cookbook. When I get a response I will post it here. It would be nice to have this settled. I may be kicking my self in the back side cause I got rid of the nuker.

:roll: GO DUCKS

Old 09-15-2004, 07:06 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I use it to deforst and to reheat..... thats about it.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I use mine for certain things. The most use it gets is for reheating leftovers. I also find that is does a great job of melting butter and chocolate. I use it to heat, or boil water if it is just for a cup or two. Just this year I have started using it for popcorn too. I use Alton Browns brown paper bag method. It is the easiest, best way to have popcorn IMO.

I remember hearing that thing about microwave ovens killing 97% of their nutrients. It was on the news about a month or two ago. It was the last story on the 11:00 news. They did not get into any details or mention any study. I would love to find out if there really was one.

Right now I don't care what their study says. I use my microwave for the things listed above.

I bet in a few years, they will be saying that microwaving is healthier than any other cooking method!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #35
Master Chef

Gee, no one ever seems to have a source for their facts. Anyone know anything about what nutrition is lost with which heat source? With attribution?

WE all say nuke to refer to microwave ovens, but there's no nuclear energy involved and we all know that, don't we?

A microwave oven is a great convenience, and most kitchens wouldn't do without one, even some commercial ones that claim they do.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I could not live without my Microwave. However I usually use it to thaw meats out and heat leftovers. I have cooked sausage and hamburgers in it. My Dad actually cooked a turkey in his and it came out pretty good.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #37
Certified Executive Chef

I guess I opened a can of worms. So, I went to Google and entered Microwave Oven Dangers and got quite a response and scanned over the first 4 or 5. Then to be fair, I went back to Google and entered Microwave Hazards and Microwave Myths (sesparately) and scanned some of them. Another informative response. I guess we all will do what we will do. I do not plan to replace the microwave I tossed six months ago.

If anyone does this and reads both sides, did the articles change your opinion regarding microwave cooking?

:roll: GO DUCKS
Old 09-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #38
Certified Executive Chef

When I first started this about a nuker, I quoted a chef who was on Sara's Secrets who compared the nutrients gained from eating vegetables raw, steamed, boiled and nuked. Some questioned the validity of the statement. I finally found who it was. The guest was Anna Thomas and her cookbook is The New Vegatarian Epicure. The show aired on August 19 and 26 and was named More Meatless Menus. It featured stuffed artichokes, polents with leeks and gorgonzola, and pink grapefruit sorbet. There was no record there of the conversations, just the menu and recipes. The book is avilable at Borders and amazon.com. I will look at the book when I am next in Borders. I am just following up as I said I would.

:roll: GO DUCKS = GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:
Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #39
Master Chef

hubby likes to reheat his coffee in it.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #40
Senior Cook

My degree is in Agriculture, and I was surprised by this thread. Just a quick post with a couple of links.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | NCHFP Publications
Ask the Expert:*Nutrition:*Yale-New Haven Hospital Health Forums
Slow Cooking and Microwaving Vegetables: VegetableExpert

One thought to leave you with, consider the source and how they profit from the information given.