How to store fresh dill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I put them in a glass of water and cover loosely with a plastic produce bag from the supermarket, then store in the fridge. Change the water every couple of days and they should stay fresh for about a week. You can also freeze them in water for a couple of months.

I generally chop it up and mix with a little water and freeze some in an ice tray.....I know, I know.....There may be some young folks that have never seen an ice tray these days. :LOL:

We have this issue every single fall.
Our garden is done and we have to do something with the remains.
We have found this to work the best.

Enjoy fresh herbs in spring and summer. Enjoy (if you can say enjoy) dried herbs in the winter until the next spring. Or buy fresh herbs in the market.

JMHO.

Shalom, and welcome, missed your arrival here some how.Are you anywhere close to Petach Tikva? Have some friends there.
Unfortunately there is really no good way to store fresh dill for a long time. It drys out after a while. And if you keep it in a plastic bag it goes bad. I usually wrap fresh bunch in a paper towel and keep it in the refrigerator. I use it fresh as long as I can, but then it slowly turns dry and then I can just use it dry. It doesn't get ruined.

I've just put the leafy parts (no heavy stems) in a freezer bag and froze them before. Never had a problem. Didn't use water. They didn't stick together so I'd just take out what I needed as needed.

I've also done this with mint for tea. Don't use enough of it before the mint rots in the fridge so I just threw it all in a freezer bag. It's a little dried up and crinkly but since I just throw it in with the water and sugar when I heat it up to dissolve, let it steep and then take it out really doesn't matter.

Hi. I put them in a glass of water and cover loosely with a plastic produce bag from the supermarket, then store in the fridge.
me too!i also store asparagus,broccoli & cauliflower the same way(minus the bag)just trim a bit off the bottom of the stalk/s,just as you would for cut flowers and put them in the fridge,in a glass or bowl with the bottom of the stalk/s just submerged in water.firms them up a treat,too!!

me too!i also store asparagus,broccoli & cauliflower the same way(minus the bag)just trim a bit off the bottom of the stalk/s,just as you would for cut flowers and put them in the fridge,in a glass or bowl with the bottom of the stalk/s just submerged in water.firms them up a treat,too!!

Yes. Veggies go limp when they lose moisture.

I don't use a lot of dill, but when I do I buy those small, plastic single serving things. I take oot what I need and throw the rest back into the fridge in the container it came in. If I use it in a week or two it still seems good. Kind of makes me wonder if you need to do anything special to it if you are using it within a couple weeks.

I don't use a lot of dill, but when I do I buy those small, plastic single serving things. I take oot what I need and throw the rest back into the fridge in the container it came in. If I use it in a week or two it still seems good. Kind of makes me wonder if you need to do anything special to it if you are using it within a couple weeks.

I guess I was assuming that the OP had a larger quantity of dill, like from a home garden. A smaller amount will hold pretty well, as you say. If I see condensation on the container, I'll wipe it out and replace the dill with a liner of paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom