"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Dave, I am glad nothing more serious has happened. Are you out of danger yet? Thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Jabbur, my prayers are with the family of that young boy and everyone in your area. Be safe.

loss of life during a natural disaster takes on a whole new meaning and gravity when it happens in your own neighborhood, close to home. so sorry, jabbur.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #52
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks Laurie. No we still have the worst to come. We are not going to be getting the main event until between 2 and 3 AM Sunday morning. It is supposed to start intensifying around 8 and keep going until the eye passes by in the early morning hours.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
Personally doing okay but unfortunately here in town a young boy (9 yo) lost his life when a tree broke in half and came through the roof into his 2nd story bedroom straight through to the 1st floor. It took workers 2 hours to find him under the tree.
Sad, how horrible! A young innocent.

Talked to niece in Jersey, she and her kids have evacuated and are staying with her parents.

Thoughts and prayers, guys!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #54
Master Chef

It's still blowing pretty hard here. It's really been an all day event! DH had put a new mailbox on the post but hadn't nailed it down. It blew off into the yard. Have some small limbs down in the yard. No flooding. So far we have had power all day. A couple of times in blinked off and on but not completely out. The WalMart my son works at was open today and he had to go in. He had some pretty good pics of the store shelves bare! Around 2pm the store lost power and their generator kicked in. He finally got to come home around 4pm. We were supposed to go to dinner with his girlfriend's parents then to the movies to see the Harry Potter installment. Nobody's going anywhere!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Question Irene

Calling all East-Coasters... Please let us know how you're getting on with the effects (and after-effects) of Irene. Are you and your families safe?

We're all thinking of you and keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #56
Executive Chef

what really blew my mind today--they said on the news that hurricane irene is the size of europe! wow, that is massive! up until now, my mind pictured all hurricanes as brightly colored swirls on the ocean. from nw on i will be seeing europe shaped hurricanes instead.... :)
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #57
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Checking in.. we made it through...will post more once the sun is up and I can see better outside...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good luck with the tree. Was it just a limb or the whole tree? What kind? I'm just wondering if the cut pieces could be burned in a fireplace of some sort.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #59
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Good luck with the tree. Was it just a limb or the whole tree? What kind? I'm just wondering if the cut pieces could be burned in a fireplace of some sort.
It is a whole tree, a tulip poplar. I'm not sure what it can be used for besides firewood once it dries out.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #60
Executive Chef

we are thankful, we are relieved, we are standing on solid ground once again, here in virginia. we have survived an earthquake and a massive hurricane all in the space of five very long/short days in time. so good to be alive and whole....