"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
If you could have one professional cooking appliance...

in another thread, tatt and i discussed that we'd like to have a salamander in our home kitchens.

it got me to thinking what other professional appliances that people might like to have in their home kitchens. deep fryer, professional stovetop or oven, walk in fridge, wok burner, high output dish washer, pizza oven, rotary smoker, etc..

if you could choose just one professional appliance (mexican workers do not count as appliances ) what would it be? why?

again, tatt and i agreed that we'd like a professional salamander. there's so many things that you can do with a salamander that you just can't do as well in an oven or even a regular broiler.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
lol, good call, BT!

A salamander would deff be high on the list. Very versatile, great way to finish/broil things off, and besides a grill, the ideal way to cook a nice steak.

I wouldn't mind an industrial steamer, and a double stack convection oven as well.

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Head Chef
Maybe a deep fat fryer, restaurant size and quality, designed into my Orgreenic kitchen.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
You can add me to the list who would like a salamander. It's one of the (very) few things I miss from my restaurant days.

I would also like a mid-sized mixer - I love my Pro 600 KA, but when making large wedding cake tiers it is sometimes a little on the teensy side. And throw in a full sized blow (convection) oven and I will be in heaven.
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNISRM20.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	13054

Of course I just have to figure out how to get them all into my very small galley kitchen!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
A salamander would be high on my list. But if I can only choose one it would be a deck oven.

Of course, my first choice would be a kitchen large enough to accommodate professional equipment.
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Just one? I'd go with an Ole Hickory rotating smoker. And a couple cords of shagbark hickory.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Executive Chef
Hobart slicer!
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Hobart slicer!
Oh man, that right there is my arch-nemesis!

I laid open the top of my right index finger along the entire length when cleaning one once and the stupid thing wasn't even on!

It was my own fault, of course, I'd been careless but they still scare me!
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Executive Chef
An Oak Barrel For Home Made Spanish Red Wine

Since we have a relatively modern apartment and for the cooking we both do, we already have almost everything there is room for including a Food Processor and Thermo Mix and Pasta Maker and Dish Washer ... we´ll take an oak barrel ...

Good question ... Thanks.

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
6-burner gas range with 4-foot griddle and two ovens...I could put out some serious eats with that! A friend in grade school, her family had the old gas range from the Remount Ranch, it was beauty to cook on.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote