"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Cook

ISO help/tips frying chicken pieces

i been baking/boiling/broiling all our family foods, and today trying to fry some chicken legs.

i put some canola oil on a frying pan , i washed and dried chicken legs, i fry it under cover but it yet manages to splash hot oil, whats the trick for oil not to splash?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Head Chef

It's hard to avoid. For shallow pan-frying chicken legs, make sure it's well coated with dry flour. Use a splatter guard to start. Don't fry with cover. Steam will condense on the cover lid and drip back into the oil as water. The major cause of hot oil splash. Half way into frying, when much of the meat's moisture has cooked out and your heat is reduced to maybe medium, it's okay to cover the pan to finish cooking the legs through down to the bone.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Try frying in a dutch oven or some other deep vessel next time. It won't stop the splatter, but it will help to keep it under control.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
It's hard to avoid. For shallow pan-frying chicken legs, make sure it's well coated with dry flour. Use a splatter guard to start. Don't fry with cover. Steam will condense on the cover lid and drip back into the oil as water. The major cause of hot oil splash. Half way into frying, when much of the meat's moisture has cooked out and your heat is reduced to maybe medium, it's okay to cover the pan to finish cooking the legs through down to the bone.
is there a way to avoid flour? this adds floury taste and unneeded extra calories?

oil pops although i wipe down my chicken with a papertowel i guess yet bits of water create splash under cover its safer because it doesnt splash although we need to rotate it it's a problem. how to make without the cover it majorly splashes.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Deep fat in a deep pot?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Try frying in a dutch oven or some other deep vessel next time. It won't stop the splatter, but it will help to keep it under control.

you mean like in soup pot? i have stainless steel set and i bought a frying pan by calphalon because my husbad likes pancakes/crepes -those things.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

If you don't want a flour crust for your chicken, then don't fry it, bake it. I get a very nice, crispy crust by baking the individual pieces on a rack/baking sheet in the oven set at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. The fat drains off and they get a pretty, golden color.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Splatter is part of frying foods.

You should not be frying under a cover. Use a splatter shield so steam can escape.

A dutch oven is the same as a frying pan but with higher sides. The higher sides reduce the amount of splatter that makes it out of the pan and onto the stove.

If you're frying chicken in oil, you shouldn't be worrying about the calories in the flour.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
If you don't want a flour crust for your chicken, then don't fry it, bake it. I get a very nice, crispy crust by baking the individual pieces on a rack/baking sheet in the oven set at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. The fat drains off and they get a pretty, golden color.
i been always baking , i love baked chicken just my husband shared that his grandma (when he was little) used to make fried chicken for him. i actually just fried both sides to color then added some water for it to stay in the water steam, a little bit of water for it to cook through.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Splatter is part of frying foods.

You should not be frying under a cover. Use a splatter shield so steam can escape.

A dutch oven is the same as a frying pan but with higher sides. The higher sides reduce the amount of splatter that makes it out of the pan and onto the stove.

If you're frying chicken in oil, you shouldn't be worrying about the calories in the flour.
that sounds fansy and good to know.

Tags
chicken