"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueh View Post
Thank you all. I read some wild yeast articles just now, as well as the grape sourdough recipe referred by Aunt Bea. Question about the recipe: it says to strain out the slightly crushed grapes once the fermentation starts to take place. Would it hurt to leave small pieces of grapes there, since it is impossible to strain every bit of grapes out completely?

Also, although the batch I have now isn't working, it still produces the slight "smell" similar to the rising dough made with commercial yeast.do you think I can still use it?

Thanks
I'm not a sourdough maker but regarding straining the grapes - would straining through muslin or a coffee filter prevent the bits of grape getting through?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueh View Post
Thank you all. I read some wild yeast articles just now, as well as the grape sourdough recipe referred by Aunt Bea. Question about the recipe: it says to strain out the slightly crushed grapes once the fermentation starts to take place. Would it hurt to leave small pieces of grapes there, since it is impossible to strain every bit of grapes out completely?

Also, although the batch I have now isn't working, it still produces the slight "smell" similar to the rising dough made with commercial yeast. Do you think I can still use it?

Thanks
Regarding straining the grapes would straining through muslin or a coffee filter work at keeping the bits of grape out?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

First:

Sourdoughhome - An Exploration of Sourdough

Second:

Yeasties in the air aren't important. I have started a starter in middle February, with a HEPA filter on the house.

The basic method I have had success with is this:

25g of rye flour, 25g of water. Make a paste, stick it in a container and let it sit for 24 hours.

50g of flour, 50g of water and your rye paste from above. Mix and let it sit for 24 hours.

Take 50g of above (discard the rest), 50g of water and 50g of flour mix and let sit for 24 hours.

You should see some activity in the above at this point. If you don't, then don't despair, just repeat again at the 24 hour mark. If you have seen activity at this point repeat at the 24 hour mark. Simple.

If you saw activity on the last one start the process at the 12 hour mark. It doesn't need to be a lot of activity. Once you start the 12 hour feedings you will need to keep them up and the starter should get stronger over time. It is ready when it can double itself in about 6-9 hours.

Once it is ready you can make bread with it, but before you do you should make more than the standard feed. For example doing a 1:1:1 feed of 50g each of water, flour and stater you might consider taking 120g of the starter and match it 1:1:1 so that you end with about 360g so you have enough for bread AND to continue your starter.

You should go through a really foul smelling phase 4-8 days in. It will be bad. That is the bad things in the stew dying. It will mellow and smell right at some point.

If the thing gets black spots in it then you should pitch and start again, that is mold and you don't want that.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's warmer where you live...
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's warmer where you live...
The starter was inside, not out on the patio.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The starter was inside, not out on the patio.
AudreyII is nicely tart now. I'm going to dry her out and put her away for a while, I won't be able to pay attention to her for a bit.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Regarding straining the grapes would straining through muslin or a coffee filter work at keeping the bits of grape out?
Sorry for repeating myself here but the first post disappeared when I sent it. It must have gone the scenic route because it's popped up now.

Tags
dough, yeast