"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

That is a great idea. I have never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
+1

I'll have to try it. You could probably use them whole.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Have you tried the red onions with BF? He may like them. They are milder than most, and sweet. There is also a sweet (white or yellow??? I don't remember) that he may like. Lots of options. My favorite is red onions, and they look pretty!
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #53
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
100% with you on all you've said,especially the meditation bit.90% of the meals i eat,i cook from scratch.colleagues at work don't understand why and apart from the obvious,i tell them that that's how i wind down after another 10 hours savage entertainment at the hands of an uncaring public!!
i live alone so don't have to plan meals/times ahead & very often don't know what i want to eat when i set off to work in the morning,so the advance prep may be wasted on the "well it seemed like a good idea at the time" principle...

the point of the thread was that there are very good products out there that can be used when time is short,not as a 100% substitute.......if you did,that would spoil the fun to be sure greg!!
That was pretty much my schedule too, 8-10 hours work then come home and unwind by cooking my dinner. I too preferred to decide what to have for dinner at the market on the way home from work. After all, how is anybody supposed to know what they want to eat 8-10 hours earlier in the day?

We have Asian markets too although ours are not Indian but rather are Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc. That's where I get my garlic, shallots, etc. They have the convenience products too but for some reason I prefer to chop my own.

I used to chop large quantities of garlic etc. on my days off. Currently not a problem since I've been given 7 days a week off now.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #54
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1

I'll have to try it. You could probably use them whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Have you tried the red onions with BF? He may like them. They are milder than most, and sweet. There is also a sweet (white or yellow??? I don't remember) that he may like. Lots of options. My favorite is red onions, and they look pretty!
both right,as i said to skittle,i roast them whole with other veggies.spot on chopper,if i'm not using shallots i use red onions,like in the cevapcici i posted last night.love them in a cheese and onion sandwich! thought you guy's had something called a vidalia onion over there,isn't that a sweet onion too?
dunno 'cos ive never tasted one,just seen them used on the american food shows i watch
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean

both right,as i said to skittle,i roast them whole with other veggies.spot on chopper,if i'm not using shallots i use red onions,like in the cevapcici i posted last night.love them in a cheese and onion sandwich! thought you guy's had something called a vidalia onion over there,isn't that a sweet onion too?
dunno 'cos ive never tasted one,just seen them used on the american food shows i watch
Indeed, Harry, vidalias are lovely, nice and sweet. I think most come from Georgia, and the growing season is short.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That was pretty much my schedule too, 8-10 hours work then come home and unwind by cooking my dinner. I too preferred to decide what to have for dinner at the market on the way home from work. After all, how is anybody supposed to know what they want to eat 8-10 hours earlier in the day?

We have Asian markets too although ours are not Indian but rather are Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc. That's where I get my garlic, shallots, etc. They have the convenience products too but for some reason I prefer to chop my own.

I used to chop large quantities of garlic etc. on my days off. Currently not a problem since I've been given 7 days a week off now.
swap ya two indian restaurants,one pakistani food store & a persian grill shop for a vietnamese & korean food store!! i would love those nearby,infact i think the nearest,if any are over the other side of the city!!
not quite got to 7 days a week off yet greg but getting close.dunno mate,love what i do even after nearly 30 years as an estate agent i don't think i could give it up altogether!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Indeed, Harry, vidalias are lovely, nice and sweet. I think most come from Georgia, and the growing season is short.
georgia ohhhh georgia....sweet as the song eh dawg?
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
swap ya two indian restaurants,one pakistani food store & a persian grill shop for a vietnamese & korean food store!! i would love those nearby,infact i think the nearest,if any are over the other side of the city!!
Oddly I'm not fond of Indian food except tandoori. I like mainly Thai, Chinese and Japanese (in that order). Compare Indian and Thai curry dishes, Indians use yogurt (right?) while Thais use coconut milk. I really like coconut milk and coconut cream in recipes. Indian and Thai are different in many ways, too many to go into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
not quite got to 7 days a week off yet greg but getting close.dunno mate,love what i do even after nearly 30 years as an estate agent i don't think i could give it up altogether!
Yeah I understand that. I don't know how people do it. Although for about 15 months I worked in a city 100 miles from home (commuted in on Monday morning, back home Friday afternoon) and worked 10-12 hours a day during the week and then at home Saturday 10-12 and half day Sunday, so I know a little bit about long hours.

My present work week is 0 hours a week. I was sorry to lose the previous work (not my choice, it was the economy) but too late to do anything now. There's still little/no work available in my field.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #59
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
We usually use slices of red onion on the kabobs. He usually leaves about half the onion on his plate, which I gladly finish off lol. Vidalia onions would be great, as they are even sweeter than reds, but they are very seasonal. I keep an eye out for them, because I could use more onion without bf complaining, but I hardly ever see them. I love the little flavor bursts of red pearl onions, but it's just too much for Mike. I am definitely going to try shallots the next time. Probably not whole, as they are a little on the expensive side here, but cut horizontally into thirds I bet would be just right. If I can get the juicy flavor, without it being too overpowering for Mike, that would be just perfect!! I know I could do both, but the package of pearls is pretty big, and then I would have more of them to use up in something else. I suppose I could plan to make soup with them or something, but I would much rather just have a happy medium we both like. I come from an onion loving family- my sister's DH calls her meat loaf onion loaf :)

Oh, and I use crushed garlic in a tube. It comes out like a thin paste, and has the flavor of fresh garlic. Not sure why, but I don't like chopping garlic... Has anyone tried the new "freeze dried" minced garlic? Do you think it would be any better than the regular dried?
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #60
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Oddly I'm not fond of Indian food except tandoori. I like mainly Thai, Chinese and Japanese (in that order). Compare Indian and Thai curry dishes, Indians use yogurt (right?) while Thais use coconut milk. I really like coconut milk and coconut cream in recipes. Indian and Thai are different in many ways, too many to go into it.




Yeah I understand that. I don't know how people do it. Although for about 15 months I worked in a city 100 miles from home (commuted in on Monday morning, back home Friday afternoon) and worked 10-12 hours a day during the week and then at home Saturday 10-12 and half day Sunday, so I know a little bit about long hours.

My present work week is 0 hours a week. I was sorry to lose the previous work (not my choice, it was the economy) but too late to do anything now. There's still little/no work available in my field.
that's why i would swap you two indian restaurants,some dishes are stunning,but not top of my list....thai,japanese,vietnamese and some chinese(not cantonese)are.sorry to hear about the job situation greg,guess it's tough everywhere.housing market is knackered here which is one of the reasons i'm easing off,quit while you're ahead & all that stuff....good luck matey,hope something turns up soon...really do
right it's 6:20pm here & i'm going out so need to "get a riddle on" as we say over 'ere!!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.