Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.
correct princess,loyd grossman does some pretty darn good sauces too....all natural ingredients "justa lika mamma useda to makea" can't do an indian or thai accent but he does pretty goods ones of those too,with the same ingredients that you and i would make them with:yum:

It is fairly high in sodium. And, I can't find the ingredients list re: the type of nuts used...

What nuts?:wacko: I was talking about tomato pasta sauces and the sodium is less than others and NOT sweet.

I use De Lallo Pesto sauce. Pine nuts, high sodium...but I use very little.

It is fairly high in sodium. And, I can't find the ingredients list re: the type of nuts used...
i know cw & you're right if something is high in sodium etc but going back to what i said before.these are occasional subs not daily usage.as part of my diet regime,if i have "over indulged" one day,i compensate/detox the next day.

I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.
Very rarely I find something that is better than what I make at home. But when I do, I am grateful to the company who has marketed the product. Thank you BARILLA...for making pesto sauce available with that true sweet Italian basil taste, in a country like Mexico were the basil smells like cinnamon....

Last edited:
I gotta swear by homemade mayo--BUT I also have to say with fresh eggs, it is even better! And so easy to do. I can hardly wait for the tomatoes...homemade mayo on homemade ww bread topped with a garden fresh tomato, some chopped fresh basil from the garden....yum, yum, yum.

I'll try the home made mayo hopefully one day soon. My stick blender is in storage! :cry:

Home grown tomatoes are the best too. They're the easiest plant to grow, and they're the most huge difference between home grown and store bought. At home they ripen on the vine. At stores they're ripened in the truck.

zfranca said:
Very rarely I find something that is better than what I make at home. But when I do, I am grateful to the company who has marketed the product. Thank you BARILLA...for making pesto sauce available with that true sweet Italian basil taste, in a country like Mexico were the basil smells like cinnamon....

I know what you mean about mexican basil, I lived there also and had trouble finding ingredients for any dish other than mexican food. The one good thing about Mexico is all the beautiful fresh or dried ingredients that you can find to cook Mexican dishes. I miss all the cheeses , creams , and spices that I used in my food. My biggest problem that I have is tortillas, there is no place around here to get a good tortilla. I have my favorite brands that I can reheat with rendered pork fat but I miss going to the tortillaria for my fresh ones. Ohh I miss the panaderias also.

I'll try the home made mayo hopefully one day soon. My stick blender is in storage! :cry:

Home grown tomatoes are the best too. They're the easiest plant to grow, and they're the most huge difference between home grown and store bought. At home they ripen on the vine. At stores they're ripened in the truck.
I have made mayo with a whisk, with a stand mixer, and with a blender. The blender is a bit harsher, so it requires a modified recipe. Blender mayo isn't as thick, but tastes great. It took quite a while to make the mayo with a whisk. The stuff in the stand mixer easily gets almost too thick.

Are pasteurized eggs available where you live? CWS gets her eggs from chickens who have been vaccinated for salmonella, so hers are safe raw.

In the US, pasteurized eggs are marked with a pink "P." You can also pasteurize the yolk in the microwave--http://www.christonium.com/culinaryreview/How_To_Make_Pasteurized_Eggs_Cooking_With_Raw_Eggs

Even though I bought vaccinated chicks/hens, keep them clean, and know where they have been, I still pasteurize the yolk.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about mexican basil, I lived there also and had trouble finding ingredients for any dish other than mexican food. The one good thing about Mexico is all the beautiful fresh or dried ingredients that you can find to cook Mexican dishes. I miss all the cheeses , creams , and spices that I used in my food. My biggest problem that I have is tortillas, there is no place around here to get a good tortilla. I have my favorite brands that I can reheat with rendered pork fat but I miss going to the tortillaria for my fresh ones. Ohh I miss the panaderias also.
Flour tortillas are very easy to make at home. The corn ones are a bit trickier, but can be done. When I lived in NB, I could not get tortillas, so I learned to make my own. This was ... about 25 years' ago. I have been making my own tortillas ever since.

What nuts?:wacko: I was talking about tomato pasta sauces and the sodium is less than others and NOT sweet.

I use De Lallo Pesto sauce. Pine nuts, high sodium...but I use very little.
I thought it was the pesto sauce, not the pasta sauce. I can't buy pesto sauce--pine nuts, so I always make my own.

I have made mayo with a whisk, with a stand mixer, and with a blender. The blender is a bit harsher, so it requires a modified recipe. Blender mayo isn't as thick, but tastes great. It took quite a while to make the mayo with a whisk. The stuff in the stand mixer easily gets almost too thick.

I have two stick (immersion) blenders, and a blender jar that fits atop my food processor. It looks to me like a stick blender would be the ideal tool for making mayonnaise but then I've never done it. Which should I use? Or should I get a stand mixer? (I'll get one eventually, but not any time soon.)

Last edited:
That's good to know. I would have thought those sharp, little blades and the speed would be less than ideal for mayo.
It seems to me that mine is a B&D and came with a recipe book (I've had it forever). Included was recipe for mayo and that was the first time I ever made mayo at home (not that I make mayo at other locations:LOL:).

That's good to know. I would have thought those sharp, little blades and the speed would be less than ideal for mayo.
That's funny, I was worried that those little blades would be too fast! I don't know if you have one, but they go like crazy!

I got my Coozie (Cuisinart) and I got a H-B. The H-B has two speeds. I like them both. Don't ask me why I have two. :)

I'm thinking of buying one of those Spishak models too... ;)

That's funny, I was worried that those little blades would be too fast! I don't know if you have one, but they go like crazy!

I got my Coozie (Cuisinart) and I got a H-B. The H-B has two speeds. I like them both. Don't ask me why I have two. :)

I'm thinking of buying one of those Spishak models too... ;)
I used my Cuisinart to make whipped cream tonight. I love the attachments.

Back
Top Bottom