"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Making pesto

I've seen that not every one has started their vegetable and herbs plants yet, so thought I would put in a plug for parsley.

When I make pesto, I use equal amounts of basil and parsley leaves, mainly to get the nutritional boost from the parsley. Parsley is high in vitamins and minerals, esp iron. I usually have 6 basil and at least 6 parsley plants in the garden. I also can tomato sauce and juice with fresh parsley and basil, as well as other fresh vegetables.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I too plant a lot of parsley. I even bring a pot insides during the winter so I can have fresh. I do that with thyme and lemon thyme also. Can't beat the taste of fresh......

Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We have limited space as we live in a condo development. We have a limited garden area.

We have, in past years, planted basil, tomato, thyme, rosemary, jalapenos and tarragon. I think w'ell skip tomatos this year as we have had problems with critters getting more tomatos than we do.

We use all basil for pesto for the flavor (don't look to pesto for vitamins) and we don't plant parsley because of the space limitations and because parsley is readily available and cheap year 'round.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

To be honest, anything we put in our mouth needs to be nutrient dense. In order to provide our bodies with 100% of the nutrients it needs every day, there is no room for any foods that do not provide nourishment. So you do look to pesto for nourishment, you just may not be conscious of it.

And I guess we eat a LOT of pesto. It is one of the few ways I know of to eat fresh garlic in any quantity. In making my pesto, I use basil, parsley, toasted walnuts, lotsa garlic, xvoo (maybe I will start a new trend on this website with xvoo ), kosher salt and parmesan cheese.
I am always looking for ways to use garlic.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Our flat leaved parsley sprouts are nicely growing just outside our kitchen window sill, and pretty soon they will be ready for consumption!!
We also do our pesto with all basil, the intense, uniquely aromatic flavour is something that can not be compensated for us, but we do use the parsley for many many other dishes, as they go so well with just about everything, we love our parsley, too!!

btw this is our recipe for pesto genovese.

-fresh basil leaves separated from the stem and well rinsed, then well drained
-Extra virgin olive oil, make sure it is a good quality. about 3/4 of amount (in grams/ozs not the volume) of the leaves.
(please experiment with the amount of below items, adding them gradually... to your personal taste...for a rough measure I use about 75g of cheese, 2 big cloves of garlic 75g of nuts to make about 1lb.)
-well seasoned parmigiano or pecorino cheese, or combination, freshly ground
-cloves of garlic
-mixture of pine nuts and cashew

First you whip the basil with oil in a blender/food processor to make a smooth goo. Then add the next 3 items and mix further until everything is well blended. It can be frozen in rather small amounts, make sure you pack it well and it will freeze fairly quickly. To keep in the fridge you put it in a bottle, and cover the surface with extra olive oil, to avoid the contact with the air.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I am always looking for ways to use garlic.
Well I am never short of ideas for using garlic.. I love it in just about anything!! (well... maybe not in desserts though... )
Old 05-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Flat Leaves!!!!

Hi Licia,

Thanks for the reminder to use flat leaves of parsley, I forgot to say that. The kind found in most markets in the US is the curley leaf and flat leaves are best for pesto!!

Here is a link concerning the benefits of parsley, the website was listed by another poster to this forum.
http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100
As you can see, curly parsley is shown in this ad. The flat leaved parsley I am using this year is called Giant of Italy Leaf Parsley . Once any plant has its first true leaves, I start harvesting!
And thanks for the recipe!! Appreciate it very much.........Beth
Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
...So you do look to pesto for nourishment, you just may not be conscious of it...
That's cool. You can tell what's going on in my subconscious! Amazing!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

i have special powers
Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Pesto is a genoese sauce for pasta, jus as written by urmaniac. I spent my young holydays in Liguria, near Genova, for more than forty years.....
The recipe DOES'nt use parsley. Only basil. And the cheese is pecorino: just a bit more tasty than parmesan.
If you like to get patsley as food, use a "green sauce" for boiled meats.
Use minced fresh parsley, olive oil, generous quantity of lemon juice or vinegar (I use lemon), minced garlic, and, if you like (it's a variant)add a minced hard boiled egg. THis sauce is really perfect on boiled meats, and if they are fat the sauce is better: Veal head, cotechino (? how do you call it? the same that the leg of pig, minced), the fat part of beafs, I don't know the english names....