Making pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ishbel said:
I only use pine-nuts in my version of pesto. Is this not authentic? It's how I was taught on a cookery course I took in Liguria, many years ago. :)

Yes Ishbel, of course that is the real authentic recipe, purely pine nuts. The idea of mixing cashews are an invention for economical reasons as cashews cost much less than pine nuts, also they happen to blend in well with the pine. It is a fairly wide spread practice here, at least around Rome. We just mix cashews out of habit and like it that way, but the hard core traditional recipe from Genova is made with 100% pine nuts.

urmaniac13 said:
....We just mix cashews out of habit and like it that way, but the hard core traditional recipe from Genova is made with 100% pine nuts.

I sometimes use pistachios or cashews in pesto. They add a little dfferent flavor to the pesto.

Andy M. said:
I sometimes use pistachios or cashews in pesto. They add a little dfferent flavor to the pesto.

mmm, never occured to us but pistacchi may be a very interesting addition... well the basil season is here now, we will keep the experiment in mind the next time:)

GB - yes, "creepy". Before finding the site offering fresh pine nuts that I mentioned here, I used to buy the jarred varieties & they were "creepy". Oily & sometimes rancid, not to mention about 5 times the price of the fresh ones now available online.

As far as what I've bought from them, unfortunately their website changes constantly depending on what they have available, so what I bought & have in my freezer (pine nuts freeze very well), is apparently no longer available from their current website.

My suggestion would be their 2-pound bag "Fresh Harvest". It's shelled, & I can tell you from experience that it's FRESH, & I can also say that their shipping is fabulous. I ordered online & had my pine nuts within 2 days.

Hmm I guess we do not share the same definition of the word creepy.

Creepy to me is the old guy in the park standing in the shadows watching the little children.

I love pine nuts. I will have to check this site out.

sorry, may be I don't know the correct name. How do you call these?

Attachments

• pinoli.jpg
    pinoli.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 58
urmaniac13 said:
Yes Ishbel, of course that is the real authentic recipe, purely pine nuts. The idea of mixing cashews are an invention for economical reasons as cashews cost much less than pine nuts, also they happen to blend in well with the pine. It is a fairly wide spread practice here, at least around Rome. We just mix cashews out of habit and like it that way, but the hard core traditional recipe from Genova is made with 100% pine nuts.

Interesting. I've never made pesto with anything else BUT pine-nuts. Not sure how the flavour of other nuts would affect the resulting salsa. I might try some other nuts... but, call me old-fashioned - I LIKE pine-nuts! :)

They are the only nuts I put in pesto - although I'm intrigued by the thought of cashews... But I'm probably too much of a purist... I LIKE the taste of pine-nuts and basil... the idea of parsley and other nuts seems odd, to me!:chef:

Ishbel said:
Interesting. I've never made pesto with anything else BUT pine-nuts. Not sure how the flavour of other nuts would affect the resulting salsa. I might try some other nuts... but, call me old-fashioned - I LIKE pine-nuts! :)

No question pine nuts and basil are the traditional ingredients. I don't mind variations on the original for the sake of a different and also enjoyable twist once in a while.

I've made pesto with pistachios and cashews (different batches).

almonds?

I am wondering if any one has tried using almonds for the nuts in pesto? And if so, how did it work/taste? I have many more almonds in the freezer right now than walnuts. But my basil plants only have four true leaves :-p right now.....Tomorrow I am sticking those suckers in the garden

I think it's worth making a batch with almonds. They're a mild flavored nut like the pine nut. I think it would be a good fit.

I think almonds could be interesting. I made my pesto by hand (mortar and pestle) so almonds would be a bit more work because they are harder than pine nuts, but in the food processor it would be a piece of cake.

I used pistachios last year in one batch of pesto, and we liked it a lot -- better than the traditonal pine nuts. I also learned along the road that I prever toasted pine nuts to plain (put in a dry skillet over heat and watch very carefully -- they go from raw to burnt very quickly).

I'm all for experimenting with herbs and nuts, etc, but have a policy of simply calling it something else if I vary from a very traditional recipe. When I make something according to tradition, I'll call it that. If I change an ingredient, I make up a name, or preface it (i.e., "this is Pistachio Pesto or Parsley Pesto, or Claire's version of XXX, or XXX Chez Claire, Galena XXX, etc).

Posted this some time ago. Here are some pesto-bilities:

ARTICHOKE LEMON PESTO

The idea for this recipe is from a pesto sold at a local market, but this version contains much more basil. Increase the lemon peel & Parmesan, if desired.​

1 (12-oz) pkg frozen artichoke hearts, thawed/rinsed/well-drained
1 c packed fresh basil leaves
1 lemon, grated peel & juice
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 c olive oil
3-4 tbl water
Seasoned salt & garlic pepper to taste​

In food processor w metal blade, combine all ingredients. Process until finely pureed but not smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Place in glass or plastic container, cover & chill until serving time. Makes about 1 1/2 c.​

ARTICHOKE LEMON PESTO DIP

1 c Artichoke Lemon Pesto (recipe above)
1/4 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c + 1 tbl Parmesan Cheese​

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together all ingredients except 1 tbl cheese until blended. Spoon into baking dish & sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake 30 mins or until cheese bakes into a golden crust. Serve w crackers.​

SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO

1 1/2 c drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 c grated Parmesan OR Romano cheese OR a combination of the two
1/2 c packed fresh basil leaves
3 tbl toasted pine nuts OR blanched slivered toasted almonds
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1/4 c olive oil
Salt & pepper​

In food processor w metal blade, combine sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, basil, nuts, garlic & shallot & process until chopped. Add oil & process until mixture is finely pureed, but still has some texture. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cover & chill until serving. Makes about 1 1/2 c.​

BASIL PESTO

2 c packed fresh basil leaves
3 tbl pine nuts, walnuts OR pistachios
2 lg cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 c olive oil
3 tbl freshly grated Parmigiano-reggiano cheese​

In food processor w steel blade, place basil, pine nuts & garlic. Process until finely minced. Add oil & cheese & process until mixed in. Transfer to a bowl, cover & chill. Makes about 3/4 c.​

DILL PESTO

Refreshes cucumbers, green beans, potato dishes, melon, yogurt dips, sauces & egg dishes.​

1 1/2 c packed fresh dill leaves
1/2 c packed fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tbl walnuts, pistachios OR pine nuts
2 lg cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
3 tbl olive oil
2 tbl freshly grated Parmesan OR Romano cheese​

In food processor w steel blade, place dill, parsley, nuts & garlic. Process until finely minced. Add oil & cheese & process until mixed in. Transfer to a bowl, cover & chill. Makes about 3/4 c.​

ZUCCHINI PESTO

1 c packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 c walnuts, toasted
1-2 cloves garlic
2 med OR 3 sm zucchini, trimmed & cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 c (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 c olive oil
Seasoned salt & garlic pepper to taste​

Blend basil, walnuts & garlic in food processor fitted w metal blade until finely chopped. Add zucchini, Parmesan & green onion; process until chopped. Add oil & process until mixture is finely chopped. Season to taste w salt & garlic pepper. Transfer to a glass or plastic container, cover tightly & refrigerate. Makes about 2 c.​

GREEN OLIVE PESTO

1 1/2 c firmly packed drained pimiento-stuffed green olives, rinsed & well drained
1/3 c pine nuts, toasted
1 garlic clove, cut up
1 tbl drained capers
1 c packed fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley OR basil leaves
3 tbl basil leaves (if using parsley)
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbl freshly grated Parmesan cheese​

In food processor fitted w a metal blade, process olives, pine nuts, garlic, capers & parsley until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil in a stream & cheese; blend well. Cover & chill until serving. Makes about 1 3/4 c.​

THREE-HERB PESTO

2/3 c firmly packed fresh basil leaves
2/3 c firmly packed fresh mint leaves
2/3 c firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
1/3 c pine nuts
1/3 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 lg cloves garlic, minced & mashed to a paste w 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c olive oil
1 tbl balsamic vinegar OR to taste​

In blender or food processor, puree all ingredients until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated in a jar w a tight-fitting lid. Let pesto come to room temperature before using. Makes about 1 c.​

Last edited:
Thanks for those - especially the Artichoke-Lemon. I, too, enjoy the commercial Artichoke-Lemon pestos available. In fact, I have a new one in the pantry that I haven't used yet. The difference with that one is that it has cognac as one of the ingredients. I'm thinking it might be nice either as a crostini topping, or perhaps spread on chicken breasts.

BreezyCooking said:
Thanks for those - especially the Artichoke-Lemon. I, too, enjoy the commercial Artichoke-Lemon pestos available. In fact, I have a new one in the pantry that I haven't used yet. The difference with that one is that it has cognac as one of the ingredients. I'm thinking it might be nice either as a crostini topping, or perhaps spread on chicken breasts.

You're welcome, Breezy. Or on spinach fettuccine with shrimp etc or on salmon. If you cook chicken with the skin on, try some pesto under the skin while it's cooking. Lotsa uses.:)

Back
Top Bottom