"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Marinades - do you pat the meat dry before grilling?

I know that for the most part, the rule of thumb is that you dry the meat before grilling it. Sometimes I don't and, especially like how the marinade caramelizes on the meat, if I've done that. Do you have a rule of thumb about when to dry the meat and when to put it on the grill "wet"? Or do you always dry the meat? Does it matter if you pan sear it vs. grill?

The reason I'm asking this is because I use a nice fajita method for skirt steak, and I think it tastes so much better to grill it "wet". The original recipe, which I looked at today for the first time in years, said to make sure to pat the meat dry.

What do you usually do?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I don't think I have patted meat dry before grilling at all. Might shake it a couple times though.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I know the "chef's" will tell you to pat the meat dry so you will get a crust,I just toss it on the grill and hope for the best.Really I feel what ever is your favorite way, do it.Sometimes people get so wrapped up in doing things the right way it seems that is more important than flavor.
kadesma
Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Sous Chef

True, Kadesma. Well, I also mean, just patting it dry, in general, even if you don't have a marinade on it. You know, you take a steak out of the package and it may have some juice... okay... blood on the surface. Do you pat that dry as well?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
True, Kadesma. Well, I also mean, just patting it dry, in general, even if you don't have a marinade on it. You know, you take a steak out of the package and it may have some juice... okay... blood on the surface. Do you pat that dry as well?
I just put a paper towel under it so it won't drip on anything transfering it to a hot skillet or grill.
kadesma
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Sometimes I pat meat dry, and sometimes not, depending on what I'm going to do with it. If I'm going to grill it, patting dry, especially with poultry is a must. That allows me to rub fat and flavorings (herbs & spices) onto the meat. If the surface is wet, butter and oil won't stick to the meat. Also, patting a steak dry will allow you to rub a bit of oil onto the steak surface, helping it develop a better flavor and color. Again, it also allows seasonings to stick better. If I'm going to dredge meat in egg-wash, or buttermilk, and then in flour, again, I'm patting it dry so that the other stuff will stick.

If I'm just broiling the meat, or pan frying it, I dont' bother to pat it as the pan or broiling pan has a light coating of oil on it, and the meat juices hold precious flavor. And I don't salt until the juices, be they red or clear, depending on the type of meat and how well I want it done, begin to flow.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
And I don't salt until the juices, be they red or clear, depending on the type of meat and how well I want it done, begin to flow.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
You should try dry brining sometime GW. It will change your life.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

Aye... that it will..
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
What do you usually do?
I never take wet meat to the fire....Rather than "steam" and "boil" first... I want it to just simply sear.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I actually prefer a brine to a marinade as it flavors the entire meat rather than just the surface. My favorite spicy chicken (way better than bufalo wings) is made with a blend of hot sauces and soy sauce (should be a secret recipe, but I share all recipes).

For a unique taste, try brining fish, then brushing a brown sugar glaze on them while smoking in hickory. My Dad taught me that one with a yummy little fish called smelt. You can eat 'em all day and never tire of the flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote