"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I think Mario would be fun to have a beer with. I'll buy. Then he may fix my dinner.
He just finished his NASCAR book and I know a couple of people who said they hung with him one weekend when he was there promoting the book and cooking for the crowd. They said he is totally down to earth.

I would love to see Rachel Ray ~ Miss 30 Minute Meals herself try and make it on Iron Chef. That would by hysterical. I like Bobby Flay and Mario, they need to replace Kat who hardly ever wins and Morimoto. He just doesn't belong in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
He is one of the more pleasurable tv personalities to watch. I love how informative he is. I agree 100% that on ICA, he can really bring it when he needs to. Great Chef.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
He's the real deal! and if you are ever in the New York Greenmarket at Union Square and see him, he's very approachable. It's fun to see him with his sons at the Coach Farms booth... the boys like to "help" at their grandparents' stand!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I am in total agreement here. (not that I can't learn from the others, I sure can, but Batali is the one I come back to time and time again .

The original Iron Chefs were at the begining of World Fusion cuisine and were pioneers. They had few rivals anywhere. We are now 15 or more years into that scene and there are many extremely competent competitors. Thus ICA has fewer home team wins. Aside from the hockum of the "competition", these are real master chef tests ... here is an ingedient...what can you do? and one can learn incredible amounts from watching closely. My hero is Sakai...no one can weild a knife like that!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I am in total agreement here. (not that I can't learn from the others, I sure can, but Batali is the one I come back to time and time again .

The original Iron Chefs were at the begining of World Fusion cuisine and were pioneers. They had few rivals anywhere. We are now 15 or more years into that scene and there are many extremely competent competitors. Thus ICA has fewer home team wins. Aside from the hockum of the "competition", these are real master chef tests ... here is an ingedient...what can you do? and one can learn incredible amounts from watching closely. My hero is Sakai...no one can weild a knife like that!
The main problem is that the best chefs aren't being represented; it's the best chefs that are under contract with FoodTV. If it was about the best chefs then we'd see guys like Daniel Boloud, Eric Ripert, and Charlie Trotter as Iron Chefs.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Senior Cook

i like mario b. as well... he IS the man, and he's a lot of fun to watch on tv.

he beat the two from chicago, but chef john b from NOLA's restaurant august did a good job against mario.

john b worked that andouille sausage in some very weird ways.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The main problem is that the best chefs aren't being represented; it's the best chefs that are under contract with FoodTV. If it was about the best chefs then we'd see guys like Daniel Boloud, Eric Ripert, and Charlie Trotter as Iron Chefs.
why aren't we seeing them as challengers?

it takes a certain amount of nerve to compete, not just skill.

also, hey IronChef,

what is mario batali's recipe for a basic marinara sauce? can you hook me up with it?

or his basic recipe for bolognese sauce?

Cheers
Old 08-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

MLB:

I did a google search on mario batali recipes and got a load of responses. One of them brought me to this.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I found this too.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:20 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
why aren't we seeing them as challengers?

it takes a certain amount of nerve to compete, not just skill.
Those are just a few examples. Chefs like Kerry Simon, Anita Lo, and Laurent Tourondel have come on the show and beaten Flay, Cora, etc. In some cases the battles weren't even close. I remember Flay losing a battle by over 10 points. Again, those are only 3 names. There have been others.

The only chef who has consistently beaten the top guys is Batali.