"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreyhounds View Post
Buying a kitchen for college. Am I better off getting mason jars instead of tupperware? I saw a bunch at WalMart for $5 for a case, in a bunch of sizes. I plan on making a few homemade things (balsamic reduction, sauces, etc) as well as storing leftovers. Kind of new to this.

What do you guys use?

I don't think it's good to store things like that in plastic, oil is used in
the process of making plastic. Use tin foil. I never freeze meat, I buy it
fresh.
Frank 2022

Old 08-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Moderator

All plastics are made from peto-chemicals,even those that food is sold in. It is very hard to find non-plastic storage containers these days/

Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Half Baked

I re-use a lot of containers. I save glass jars and plastic food containers to store food in all the time. Take out food can come in some pretty nice containers.

Better for the pocketbook and Mother Earth.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Head Chef

Tin foil is a bad idea for anything acidic--it eats holes in the foil. Go for glass, and if you can find them at WalMart at the price you said, you are getting a good deal. Buy the widemouth ones, so you can put a piece of chicken inside.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Master Chef

I, too, would go with ziplock (Glad, store brands, all similar). The jars are great for salad dressings and such, but the plastic bowls and lids are much more practical for leftovers and such. Oh, for salad dressings and similar sauces? Go the salad dressing aisle and you can get a free cruet with Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix. I prefer to buy the round Ziplock, Glad, whatever, containers over the square/rectangular shaped ones because I often freeze sauces, soups, stews, then pop the frozen stuff into a baggie so they take up less freezer space. Since they are round, they are easy to pop into a bowl for the microwave oven or a pot for stove top thawing/heating.

A huge recommendation I have for starting a kitchen is Pyrex measuring cups. I have a 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, and half gallon size and when I had to downsize (lived in an RV for awhile), I used them for mixing bowls and microwave oven heating. Two of these (2 cup, 4 cup would be starters) are inexpensive and very versatile.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi,
I would like to find out from household users of Tupperware and feedback on the latest and the best from Tupperware especially useful in home and family use. Looking on some home improvement and gift ideas for Christmas. Do let me know where to find them, maybe an online site to explore. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We use microwave / dishwasher safe plastic and mason jars. We also buy Hellman's mayo in 1.8 litre plastic jars that are very handy, but we don't use them in the microwave. My lumps of frozen stock go in those. They don't feel as cold as glass when you have to handle them.

My fridge is full of glass jars: pickled beets, stock, salad dressing, yoghurt, sour cream, etc. We used to buy some brands of pasta sauce that came in mason jars. The lids that came with those are easier to deal with than the two piece lids one uses for canning, but they fit mason jars.

I find that I use the clearer plastic containers most. I seeing what's in them.